Wave Motion Problem Solving Tips

In summary, the conversation is about difficulty understanding how to solve a problem involving two point sources generating waves in phase. The task is to compute the distance from the x-axis to the first nodal line at x=50(lambda). The equation for finding this distance is given, and a website is suggested for further assistance.
Physicsisfun2005
I am having difficulty grasping what to do for this problem:

Two point sources located (0, +/- 2.5(lambda)) are generating waves in phase. Compute the distance from the x-axis to the first nodal line at
x=50(lambda)

I'm not sure what equations to use. My physics instructor is terrible and we don't even use a textbook...instead we have to read his "readings". I don't really grasp wave motion very well.....if u have a link to a wesite that can help be out that would be great.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicsisfun2005 said:
I am having difficulty grasping what to do for this problem:

Two point sources located (0, +/- 2.5(lambda)) are generating waves in phase. Compute the distance from the x-axis to the first nodal line at
x=50(lambda)
The distance "Y" off the x-axis at the point x=(L) where the first nodal line (i.e., the first minimum) occurs is given by:
Y = L*(1/2)*λ/d
where "λ" is the wavelength, and "d" the distance between the 2 sources. Using {L = 50λ} and {d = 2*(2.5λ) = 5λ}, we get:
Y = (50λ)*(1/2)*(λ)/(5λ) = (5λ)

For more information regarding this subject, try the following web site:
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/light/u12l3c.html

~~

Last edited by a moderator:
excellent.....thank you!

1. What is wave motion?

Wave motion is the transfer of energy through a medium by the movement of particles in a wave-like pattern. This can occur in various forms such as sound waves, light waves, and water waves.

2. What are some common problems that arise when solving wave motion problems?

Some common problems that may arise when solving wave motion problems include difficulty understanding the concept of wave motion, confusion with the equations and variables involved, and trouble visualizing the wave's behavior in a given scenario.

3. What are some tips for solving wave motion problems?

Some tips for solving wave motion problems include: understanding the basic principles of wave motion, identifying the variables involved and their relationships, drawing clear diagrams to visualize the wave's behavior, and using appropriate equations and units.

4. How can I improve my understanding of wave motion?

You can improve your understanding of wave motion by practicing solving various types of wave motion problems, seeking help from a teacher or tutor, and using online resources to supplement your learning.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving wave motion problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving wave motion problems include mixing up the variables, using incorrect equations, and not properly considering the units of measurement. It is also important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.