Wave-Particle Duality and Particle Specific Identification

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of measuring the momentum of a particle within a field without disrupting the field, and the difficulty in verifying if the same particle is being observed at different times. The speaker suggests starting with the book "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie E. Ballentine for a better understanding of the concepts, and also recommends Lenny Susskind's books for a warm-up if the reader has no exposure to physics.
ir316507
I have been struggling with one simple question. How can one measure the momentum of a particle within a field without disrupting the entire field, all together? If the particle is under observation at at t_0, how is it verifiable that at t_1 the same particle is being observed? Obviously spin and the state of the field can be determined in certain instances, but is it presumptuous to assume that the observed particles are identical?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course you can't say anything about a particle when its not observed. When you observe it next who knows if its the same particle or what it is. QM is silent about any of that. But why make life hard for yourself and the world weirder than it has to be. Its easiest assuming its the same particle so simply do that.

If you are just starting out in QM I suggest the following:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0473179768/?tag=pfamazon01-20

QM is in fact an approximation to a deeper theory called Quantum Field Theory. By treating everything as a field a number of conceptual issues disappear and is how I suggest you start out. The above book is quite good and unique in its approach. Although some comments he makes about Feynman are off the mark. He attributes Feynman's comment about the shell game played with field theory to field theory itself - it wasn't - it was with regard to renormalisation which has now been resolved through the work of Wilson and others on effective field theory.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bill

I am somewhat new to the concepts, so it would be ideal for me to gain a better understanding. I am an applied mathematics major with possible interests in multivariate public key cryptography. I noticed "spin" seems to be the central focus of the available research.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is the concept that all particles, including subatomic particles like electrons and photons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that they can exhibit characteristics of both waves, such as interference and diffraction, and particles, such as having a definite location and momentum.

2. How was the wave-particle duality theory discovered?

The wave-particle duality theory was first proposed by scientist Louis de Broglie in 1924, based on earlier work by Max Planck and Albert Einstein. This theory was later supported by the famous double-slit experiment conducted by Thomas Young in 1801, which showed that light behaves like a wave when passing through two narrow slits.

3. What is the significance of wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics?

The concept of wave-particle duality is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It helps to explain and predict the behavior of particles in various experiments and plays a crucial role in understanding the nature of matter and energy.

4. How do scientists identify particles in experiments?

Scientists use various techniques to identify particles, such as measuring their mass, charge, and energy. They also use detectors, such as particle accelerators and particle detectors, to observe and analyze the behavior of particles in different conditions. Additionally, the principles of wave-particle duality are often used to understand and interpret the results of these experiments.

5. Can a particle be both a wave and a particle at the same time?

Yes, according to the principles of wave-particle duality, a particle can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior simultaneously. This means that a particle can have characteristics of both a wave and a particle, depending on the experimental conditions and the way it is observed. This duality is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is still an active area of research and discussion among scientists.