Wave-Particle Duality of Electrons

In summary, the wave-particle duality of light was first demonstrated through Thomas Young's Interference Experiment in 1801, and later more clearly with the Double Slit Experiment. These experiments were done with light (photons). The wave-particle duality of electrons was demonstrated through the Davisson-Germer experiment, which showed the wave nature of electrons. Further experiments, such as the double slit experiment with electrons, have shown both wave and particle properties of electrons. In 1924, Louis de Broglie proposed the wave-particle duality theory, suggesting that all matter displays this duality.
Gia Reinhart
The wave-particle duality of light was demonstrated first with Thomas Young's 1801 Interference Experiment...and then more clearly with the Double Slit Experiment. Both of these were done with light (so photons).

My question is -- How did we come to understand the same of electrons? Did we manage to "pick an electron" off of an atom and attempt the experiment with it? When and how was the wave-particle duality of electrons demonstrated? As far as I've understood...electrons have a mass and a charge, wheres photons have no mass and no charge, so their properties are different.

Physics news on Phys.org
n/a said:
The wave-particle duality of light was demonstrated first with Thomas Young's 1801 Interference Experiment...and then more clearly with the Double Slit Experiment. Both of these were done with light (so photons).

My question is -- How did we come to understand the same of electrons? Did we manage to "pick an electron" off of an atom and attempt the experiment with it? When and how was the wave-particle duality of electrons demonstrated? As far as I've understood...electrons have a mass and a charge, wheres photons have no mass and no charge, so their properties are different.

You could start with this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-does-wave-particle-duality-not-exist-anymore.910647/

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71
Electrons were considered a wave because they also have a wavelength along with their mass, charge and spin.
The theory part was proposed in order to support Neils Bohr's proposal that the energy of an electron is quantized by De Broglie.
In truth they are now a kind of 'quantum' particle i.e. not exactly a particle nor a wave nor a field.
You should check the link PeroK has provided.

PeroK said:
Thank you. I looked through it and it's useful. But I'm less concerned with what properties we understand an electron to have now, than I am with how we came to think that an electron has particle and wave properties and by what experimental set-up. Was it through no experimental set up? Was it via mathematics? I'm just trying to hone in on the period in scientific history when this idea that a photon has dual properties was also associated with the electron.

You may want to look up the Davisson-Germer experiment, which was the classic experiment illustrating the "wave nature" of electrons; see these links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davisson–Germer_experiment
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/DavGer2.html

n/a said:
Since then, as you can imagine, many experiments have been done; in particular, check out the double slit experiment with electrons. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

Likes PeroK
n/a said:
Thank you. I looked through it and it's useful. But I'm less concerned with what properties we understand an electron to have now, than I am with how we came to think that an electron has particle and wave properties and by what experimental set-up. Was it through no experimental set up? Was it via mathematics? I'm just trying to hone in on the period in scientific history when this idea that a photon has dual properties was also associated with the electron.
I'm no expert on the history of QM but there must be plenty online about the history of the wave-particle duality.

Perhaps someone else can add to this thread, but I suspect there are already several threads on here.

PS I see @Doc Al has come to the rescue!

Doc Al said:
You may want to look up the Davisson-Germer experiment, which was the classic experiment illustrating the "wave nature" of electrons; see these links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davisson–Germer_experiment
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/DavGer2.htmlSince then, as you can imagine, many experiments have been done; in particular, check out the double slit experiment with electrons. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment
Beautiful. Found it. "In 1924 Louis de Broglie presented his thesis concerning the wave–particle duality theory, which proposed the idea that all matter displays the wave–particle duality of photons." - Wikipedia. Thank you.

n/a said:
The wave-particle duality of light was demonstrated first with Thomas Young's 1801 Interference Experiment

This demonstrated wave properties of light, but I'm not clear how it demonstrated wave-particle duality. At the time, I believe it was viewed as disproving the corpuscular theory of light that Newton, among others, had proposed, and validating the competing wave theory of light.

Likes bhobba
PeterDonis said:
This demonstrated wave properties of light, but I'm not clear how it demonstrated wave-particle duality. At the time, I believe it was viewed as disproving the corpuscular theory of light that Newton, among others, had proposed, and validating the competing wave theory of light.
I agree. The original double slit experiments were just seen as evidence of light being a wave.

It was only much later that these experiments could be done one "particle" at a time (whether photon or electron or whatever), thus showing both wave and particle aspects.

If you want to read a good history of wave particle duality see:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1491531045/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But, while of critical importance, and its importance can not be overstated, to the development of QM, since the end of 1926 when Dirac came up with modern QM in his transformation theory, likely sooner, but certainly by then, it has been consigned to the dustbin of history replaced by QM proper which does not have the idea, except maybe in a very limited sense.

Here is the history of that phase:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.570.6345&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Basically though the wave particle duality idea led to De-Broglie's ideas he wrote into a PhD thesis which Einstein recognized as a very important step in the right direction towards understanding the QM puzzle, but not the final answer. De-Broglie's professors didn't even understand it, but liked the math, and with Einsteins recommendation he got his Phd from the thesis and later a Nobel. Then someone asked Schrodinger a critical question - if electrons are sometimes waves they should obey a wave equation. He found one - the Schrodinger equation. But as my link above showed it then morphed into something else (modern QM) and he was sorry he ever became involved in it.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
I'm no expert on the history of QM but there must be plenty online about the history of the wave-particle duality.

Perhaps someone else can add to this thread, but I suspect there are already several threads on here.

PS I see @Doc Al has come to the rescue!
If it comes to the history of QT, there is the amazing multi-volume work by Mehra and Rechenberg on the subject. There you'll get everything in great detail. Nevertheless if you want to learn physics, too much history, particularly in learning QT, is more confusing than helpful. The confusion is natural since more than in other (classical) parts of physics, the problem of QT lies in the concepts (while the math is not as difficult as it looks; I found it easier to grasp than what's needed for classical electrodynamics), and these concepts had to be developed first, and there were a lot of misconceptions on the way to the now valid theory, among them (and indeed one of making the least sense of all) has been the idea of "wave-particle duality".

Likes Physics Footnotes and bhobba

1. What is wave-particle duality of electrons?

Wave-particle duality of electrons is the concept that electrons can exhibit characteristics of both particles and waves. This means that they can have both particle-like properties, such as mass and position, and wave-like properties, such as interference and diffraction.

2. How was the wave-particle duality of electrons discovered?

The wave-particle duality of electrons was first proposed by Louis de Broglie in 1924 based on the work of Albert Einstein and Max Planck, who showed that light can behave like both a wave and a particle. It was later experimentally confirmed by the double-slit experiment conducted by Clinton Davisson and Lester Germer in 1927.

3. What is the significance of the wave-particle duality of electrons?

The wave-particle duality of electrons is significant because it challenges our classical understanding of matter and energy. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of quantum mechanics and helps explain various phenomena, such as the photoelectric effect and electron diffraction.

4. Can the wave-particle duality of electrons be observed in everyday life?

No, the wave-particle duality of electrons can only be observed at the subatomic level. In everyday life, the behavior of electrons is described by classical mechanics and they are treated as particles with definite positions and velocities.

5. How does the uncertainty principle relate to the wave-particle duality of electrons?

The uncertainty principle, proposed by Werner Heisenberg, states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is because the act of measuring one property of a particle affects the other. The wave-particle duality of electrons can help explain this principle as the wave-like behavior of electrons makes it impossible to know their exact position and momentum simultaneously.