Wave speed, tension, linear density

In summary, the wave speed on a string is 155 m/s when the tension is 84.0 N. To achieve a speed of 182 m/s, the tension would need to be 115.934 N, assuming a linear density of 0.0035. The answer for tension is already in Newtons.
sphouxay

Homework Statement

The wave speed on a string is 155 m/s when the tension is 84.0 N.
What tension will give a speed of 182 m/s?

Homework Equations

velocity= Squareroot(tension/linear density)
linear density = mass/length

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, what I did was assuming that i just plug in the numbers my linear density would be 0.0035, my initial tension of 84 netted 155 m/s, I plugged this same number into find the tension with speed of 182 m/s and my answer was 115.934 after some manipulation of numbers, if this is correct is this answer already in N (Newtons).

Physics news on Phys.org
As you solve for tension without manipulating the equations the answer is naturally in N.

Your approach is correct. The answer of 115.934 is in Newtons, as tension is typically measured in Newtons. It is important to note that the linear density of the string also affects the wave speed, so it is possible that the linear density may change in order to achieve a wave speed of 182 m/s. However, based on the given information, a tension of 115.934 N would result in a wave speed of 182 m/s. Keep in mind that this is an idealized situation and there may be other factors that could affect the wave speed in a real-world scenario.

Related to Wave speed, tension, linear density

1. What is wave speed?

Wave speed is the speed at which a wave travels through a medium. It is determined by the frequency and wavelength of the wave, as well as the properties of the medium, such as tension and linear density.

2. How does tension affect wave speed?

Tension refers to the amount of force applied to a medium, such as a rope or string, which creates tension waves. Higher tension results in faster wave speed, as the particles in the medium are pulled closer together, allowing the wave to travel more quickly.

3. What is linear density?

Linear density is the mass per unit length of a medium, such as a rope or string. It affects wave speed by determining how easily the particles in the medium can move and interact with each other.

4. How does the linear density of a medium affect wave speed?

The higher the linear density of a medium, the slower the wave speed will be. This is because the particles in a more dense medium are closer together, making it more difficult for the wave to travel through it.

5. What is the relationship between tension and linear density in regards to wave speed?

Generally, there is an inverse relationship between tension and linear density in regards to wave speed. This means that if tension increases, wave speed will also increase, while an increase in linear density will result in a decrease in wave speed.