Wavelength and laser basics (ND:YAG)

In summary, the conversation discusses the appropriate wavelength for processing aluminum and cleaning metal surfaces using a frequency-doubled NDYAG laser. The literature suggests that both ND:YAG and CO2 lasers can be used for processing aluminum, and the wavelength of 532nm is particularly suitable for cleaning metal surfaces. The graph shows that all metals except silver will absorb a significant amount of energy at this wavelength. However, there is some confusion regarding how to interpret the graph.
joslaz90
Hey guys!
I hope my English skills are enough to describe my problems sufficiently.(Homework Statement )
Unbenannt.PNG

I. Following the following picture, what wavelength should a laser be used to process aluminum?

II. What metal surface can be cleaned with a frequency-doubled NDYAG laser?

To I:
The literature says that both ND: YAG and CO2 lasers can be used for this. The high reflection rate can be operated by both laser types

To II:
Such a laser has a wavelength of 532 nm and is particularly suitable for reflecting surfaces, corresponding to a significant advantage over a Co2 laser. Which metals are primarily to be mentioned here? Silver? Or is my approach wrong?I am glad about every contribution and every help (:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doubling the frequency is half the wavelength. You are correct there. From the graph, all metals except silver will be absorbing a significant portion of energy at this wavelength.

Likes joslaz90
Many thanks for your response!

However, I do not quite understand how the diagram is to be read. Is the value with the least absoption at 532nm to be read (ie Ag)?

1. What is a wavelength and why is it important in laser technology?

A wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a wave. In laser technology, the wavelength determines the color of the laser light and also affects its properties such as power and focus. Different types of lasers have different wavelengths, which make them suitable for different applications.

2. What is an ND:YAG laser and what is it commonly used for?

An ND:YAG laser is a type of solid-state laser that uses neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet (ND:YAG) crystal as the lasing medium. It emits infrared light at a wavelength of 1064 nanometers and is commonly used in medical and industrial applications such as laser surgery, laser cutting, and welding.

3. How does an ND:YAG laser work?

An ND:YAG laser works by pumping energy from a flashlamp or diode laser into the ND:YAG crystal, which excites the neodymium atoms. When these atoms return to their ground state, they emit photons of light at the 1064 nm wavelength. These photons are then amplified by reflecting them back and forth between two mirrors until they are strong enough to be released as a laser beam through one of the mirrors.

4. Can the wavelength of an ND:YAG laser be changed?

Yes, the wavelength of an ND:YAG laser can be changed by using frequency doubling or frequency quadrupling techniques. These techniques involve passing the laser beam through specialized crystals that convert the 1064 nm light to shorter wavelengths such as 532 nm or 266 nm, respectively. This allows the laser to be used for different applications that require shorter wavelengths.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with ND:YAG lasers?

Working with ND:YAG lasers can be hazardous if proper safety precautions are not taken. Some important precautions include wearing appropriate eye protection, using laser goggles that filter out the specific wavelength of the laser, and following proper procedures for handling and operating the laser. It's also important to ensure that the laser is used in a well-ventilated area to avoid exposure to harmful fumes.