Wavelength for breaking a bond

In summary, the question asks to calculate the maximum wavelength of electromagnetic radiation that can break the weakest bond in AsClF42-. The given bond energies for As-As, F-F, and Cl-Cl are 180 kJ/mol, 160 kJ/mol, and 240 kJ/mol respectively. However, the literature values for As-As bond energy is around 380 kJ/mol, suggesting that the given bond energies may be dummy values.
guiromero
Mentor's Note: Post moved to homework forum from chemistry forum.

Hello,

I have a doubt in anexercise from MIT:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calculate the maximum wavelength, λ, of electromagnetic radiation capable of breaking the weakest bond in of AsClF42-.

Bond Energies (kJ/mol): As-As 180; F-F 160; Cl-Cl 240.

Enter the numerical value of λ in meters:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This molecule has As-Cl and Cl-F bonds, but I don't know how to calculate these bonds energies from the given values. Does anynone know how to do that?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could there be a previous question with some additional information? Because the question cannot be answered with the data given.

Likes jim mcnamara
There's a previous question simliar to that, but I can't find the statement. However, I know the formulas are:

Energy (J) = [BE * 1000] / Avogador's number

Where:
BE: Bond energy (KJ/mol)

Wavelength (m) = (h * c) / Energy

Where:
h: Plancks' constant (m^2 * kg * s^-1)
c: Speed of light (m * s^-1)

In this case, BE should be the smallest value among the bond energies found in the molecule. I find that this molecule only has two types of bonds: As-Cl and Cl-F. However, I don't know how to calculate any of these bonds' energies from the data given (Bond energies of As-As 180; F-F 160; Cl-Cl 240).

I thought of taking the mean value of two given bond energies, for example :

Bond energy of As-Cl = (Bond energy of As-As + Bond energy of Cl-Cl) / 2

But this didn't work. Do you know how to do that?

Are the given bond energies dummy values? Because literature says As-As is around 380 kJ/mol.[1][2]

Mayhem said:
Are the given bond energies dummy values? Because literature says As-As is around 380 kJ/mol.[1][2]
As they are different from the literature values, I suppose they are dummy. Thanks for your help.

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and breaking a bond?

The wavelength of light is directly related to the energy required to break a bond. As the wavelength decreases, the energy increases, making it easier to break the bond.

2. How does the type of bond affect the required wavelength for breaking it?

The strength of a bond is determined by its type, such as covalent or ionic. Different types of bonds require different amounts of energy to break, and therefore, different wavelengths of light.

3. Can any wavelength of light break a bond?

No, only specific wavelengths of light, corresponding to the energy needed to break a particular bond, can break that bond. This is known as the bond's absorption spectrum.

4. How does the environment affect the required wavelength for breaking a bond?

The environment can affect the required wavelength for breaking a bond. For example, in a solvent, the bond may require a different wavelength of light to break compared to in a gas or solid state.

5. What other factors besides wavelength can affect the breaking of a bond?

Besides wavelength, the temperature, pressure, and presence of other molecules can also affect the breaking of a bond. These factors can influence the stability and strength of the bond, making it easier or harder to break.