Ways to improve the washing of car rims

• Thread starter ttesss123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary: The target market for this device is primarily car owners who want to clean their own cars. However, I think the idea of implementing it into an automated car wash could be a possibility. The focus is on the mechanism working, not on the way it is commercialized.
ttesss123
Hi have to develop a mechanism which can wash car´s rims in a more effective way than car wash stations do, mainly by focusing on the geometry of the brushes and their motion... (circular motion is apparently not enough and that's why car´s rims don't get properly cleaned after a wash...

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
ttesss123 said:
Hi have to develop a mechanism which can wash car´s rims in a more effective way than car wash stations do, mainly by focusing on the geometry of the brushes and their motion... (circular motion is apparently not enough and that's why car´s rims don't get properly cleaned after a wash...

Any suggestions?
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Since this appears to be a schoolwork project, your thread has been moved to the schoowork forums.

What are your thoughts? I know what my technique is, and I can imagine a tool that would help it to work better. Since this is your schoolwork project, you need to tell us your thoughts before we can offer tutorial help. :smile:

Hello, thanks for the reply,

So, since most rims have smaller "gaps" closer to the center, I thought of some sort of round plate which would have several brushes of two different sizes, and so the smaller ones would be in the center of the plate to reach those smaller "gaps". The plate would spin, but it would also move vertically and horizontally as it spins so the brushes would clean tight spots of difficult access on the rim. I also think it should move in a third direction perpendicular do the rim, so it can go deeper, however I have to keep in mind the budget...
In between the brushes there would be holes through which the water and the soap would travel to the rim.

This is my mental sketch, I got the assignment today and I have 2 months to finish the project...

Am I thinking about this the right way?

Any other suggestions for the geometry, motion of the brushes, water and soap channels or any other thing to make the wash more effective?

I´ll attach an image more or less portraying what I´m thinking.

Thanks..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    66 KB · Views: 54
Likes berkeman
Thanks for showing your thoughts on this project; that is a big help.

ttesss123 said:
Hi have to develop a mechanism which can wash car´s rims in a more effective way than car wash stations do
So can you say what the target market for the improved device would be? Is it meant to be an improvement for automated car wash mechanisms, or something that folks would buy to use at home when they wash their own cars?

In addition to the small holes and indents in many car rims, the biggest issue I have found is that the disk brake dust gets on the rims and is very hard to remove with conventional washing and brushing. I've had to change to a pre-wash that is focused on loosening up the disk brake dust, and that's made a huge difference in how clean I'm able to get my rims.

Can you say some things about such a directed pre-wash, and what materials might work well? It's important for the run-off to be eco-friendly, after all... :smile:

Likes ttesss123
I believe the target market would primarily be individuals who could buy this product to wash their own cars. However, I think the main focus is that the mechanism works and not so much how it would be commercialized, so the idea of implementing it to automates car wash mechanisms could also be a possibility I guess.
The pre-wash idea is actually very good, but is it something I would be able to add in the same device I sketched previously?
I don´t actually know anything about this pre-wash, I´ve although found that hog´s hair is appropriate to brush rims without scratching them. The materials used are also something I need to keep in mind...

Likes berkeman

1. How often should I wash my car rims?

It is recommended to wash your car rims at least once a week to prevent buildup of dirt and grime. However, if you live in an area with harsh weather conditions or drive on rough roads, you may need to wash them more frequently.

2. What is the best way to clean my car rims?

The best way to clean car rims is to use a mild soap or wheel cleaner specifically designed for rims. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials as they can damage the finish of your rims. Use a soft sponge or cloth to gently scrub the rims and rinse thoroughly with water.

3. Can I use a pressure washer to clean my car rims?

While pressure washers can be effective in removing dirt and grime from car rims, they can also cause damage if used incorrectly. It is important to use the lowest pressure setting and keep the nozzle at least 12 inches away from the rims to avoid causing any scratches or dents.

4. How do I remove stubborn brake dust from my car rims?

Brake dust can be difficult to remove, but there are a few methods you can try. You can use a specialized wheel cleaner, a mixture of baking soda and water, or a paste made of vinegar and baking soda. Let the solution sit for a few minutes before scrubbing and rinsing thoroughly.

5. Is it necessary to dry my car rims after washing them?

It is recommended to dry your car rims after washing them to prevent water spots and mineral deposits from forming. Use a clean microfiber cloth to gently dry the rims, making sure to reach all the crevices and spokes. You can also use a leaf blower or compressed air to remove excess water.