Weak Field Approximation - Quick Sign Question

In summary: However, when I do this in (29) it gives me ##h_{00,i}^{,i}## which has a plus sign because it is a derivative of a non-derivative.In summary, the author is confused because the positive sign makes sense when comparing with the Newton-Poisson equation, but they can't see a sign error in eq 29. The author believes what is written on the page is correct.
binbagsss
http://www.mth.uct.ac.za/omei/gr/chap7/node3.html

Shouldn't eq 45 have a minus sign, looking at eq 29.
Although I'm confused because the positive sign makes sense when comparing with the Newton-Poisson equation.
I can't see a sign error in eq 29.

(I believe the metric signature here is (-,+,+,+))

Anyone?
thanks..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you lower the derivative index of ##{h_{00}}^{,i}## in (29) it changes the sign. I think what is written on that page is correct.

Mentz114 said:
When you lower the derivative index of ##{h_{00}}^{,i}## in (29) it changes the sign. I think what is written on that page is correct.

Ahh thanks,
but these are not covariant/contravariant derivatives they are just partials , is this correct?

Also if equation (29) has an upper index then I thought (45) would have one upper and lower?

binbagsss said:
Ahh thanks,
but these are not covariant/contravariant derivatives they are just partials , is this correct?

Also if equation (29) has an upper index then I thought (45) would have one upper and lower?
Yes, the comma usually means partials, the semi-colon is used for covariant derivatives.

We have (29)

##{\Gamma^i}_{00} \approx -\frac{1}{2}\epsilon {h_{00}}^{,i}##

which has one upper index only because ##h_{00}## is a number ( a component).

In (45) ##{\Gamma^i}_{00,i}## has no indexes because ##i## is summed over. This is a scalar which it must be to give us Poisson's equation.

Last edited:
Mentz114 said:
Yes, the comma usually means partials, the semi-colon is used for covariant derivatives.

We have (29)

##{\Gamma^i}_{00} \approx -\frac{1}{2}\epsilon {h_{00}}^{,i}##

which has one upper index only because ##h_{00}## is a number ( a component).

In (45) ##{\Gamma^i}_{00,i}## has no indexes because ##i## is summed over. This is a scalar which it must be to give us Poisson's equation.

I mean the ##h_{00,ii}## in [45], Taking a lower derivative of (29)-##{\Gamma^i}_{00,i}## I thought would give ##h_{00,i}^{,i}##

1. What is the Weak Field Approximation?

The Weak Field Approximation is a mathematical technique commonly used in physics to approximate the behavior of a physical system in a weak gravitational or electromagnetic field. It is based on the assumption that the field is much weaker than other forces acting on the system.

2. How is the Weak Field Approximation used in science?

The Weak Field Approximation is used in a variety of fields including astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and general relativity. It allows scientists to make simplifying assumptions and solve complex equations more easily. It is often used to study the behavior of particles in a weak gravitational or electromagnetic field.

3. What are the limitations of the Weak Field Approximation?

The Weak Field Approximation is only valid for systems in which the field is significantly weaker than other forces. It also assumes that the field is smooth and does not take into account any non-linear effects. In some cases, the Weak Field Approximation may not accurately describe the behavior of a system and more complex methods may be needed.

4. How is the Weak Field Approximation related to the Quick Sign Question?

The Quick Sign Question is a common tool used when applying the Weak Field Approximation. It involves determining the relative magnitude of different terms in an equation and quickly approximating which terms can be neglected. This allows scientists to simplify the equation and make the Weak Field Approximation more accurate.

5. What are some examples of systems where the Weak Field Approximation is commonly used?

The Weak Field Approximation is commonly used in the study of celestial objects such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It is also used in particle physics to study the behavior of particles in a weak gravitational or electromagnetic field. Additionally, it is used in engineering and geophysics to model the behavior of structures and materials under weak forces.