Webpage title: Calculating Coulombs in a Nickel Coin

• MHB
  • Thread starter leprofece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coulombs
In summary, the coin likely contains 2.3 x 10^5 coulombs of charge, assuming it is made of nickel and has a mass of 5 grams.
leprofece
How many Coulombs of charge positive and negative are there is a coin of 5 g of mass?
Answe: 2,3.105 C

I don't know but I have no idea I think there is no enough data

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know of what metal the coin is made?

leprofece said:
How many Coulombs of charge positive and negative are there is a coin of 5 g of mass?
Answe: 2,3.105 C

I don't know but I have no idea I think there is no enough data

If we suppose that the coin is made of nickel, the atomic number is $28$ and the atomic mass is $58.7 \text{ u}$.

Therefore $5 \text{ grams}$ contains $\frac {5}{58.7} \text{ mol}$ in metal atoms.
Multiply by $N_A$ and we find $\frac {5}{58.7} \cdot 6.022\cdot 10^{23}\text{ atoms}$.
With 28 electrons that corresponds to:
$$\frac {5}{58.7} \cdot 6.022\cdot 10^{23} \cdot 28 \text{ electrons}$$
Convert to coulombs and we get:
$$\frac {5}{58.7} \cdot \frac{6.022\cdot 10^{23}}{6.241\cdot 10^{18}}\cdot 28 = 2.3\cdot 10^5 \text{ coulombs}$$

I think the coin is made of nickel! ;)

Last edited:

1. What is a coulomb?

A coulomb is a unit of electric charge, named after French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb. It is defined as the amount of electric charge that passes through a point in an electric circuit in one second when the current is one ampere.

2. What is the new problem with coulombs?

The new problem with coulombs is that they may not accurately measure the total amount of electric charge in a system when there are multiple charges present.

3. How does this new problem affect scientific research?

This new problem can affect scientific research by leading to incorrect measurements and calculations, which can impact the accuracy and reliability of experimental results.

4. What is causing this problem with coulombs?

The problem with coulombs arises from the fact that they only measure the net charge in a system, not the individual charges that may cancel each other out.

5. Are there any solutions to this problem?

There are potential solutions being researched, such as using alternative units to measure electric charge or developing new techniques to measure individual charges. However, more research and experimentation is needed to determine the most effective solution.