Coin tosses, values, and what I'm missing

• I
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, the expected number of HHH sequences is 1.5 in 14 tosses due to independence, but in a game with 10 tosses and a starting cost of 10$, the expected number of sequences is only 1 due to the game starting at a disadvantage.
member 428835
Suppose we toss a coin until we get HHH. On average this will take 14 tosses.

Now how many sequences of HHH would we get if we tossed the coin 14 times? We have 3 sequence positions and 14 units available, meaning we have 14-3+1 = 12 sequence positions available. Each position has 0.5 odds of being heads. So we have ##12*0.5^3 = 1.5 \neq 1##. I'm wondering why these two numbers aren't the same. I'm definitely misunderstanding something here.

As a follow up, so we know it takes 14 tosses on average to get HHH. So if we play a game where you pay 1$ per coin toss, then for the game to be fair if you made HHH you would receive 14 dollars (after you make HHH the game restarts, so you can't let it ride). But now suppose I charge you 10$ for a 10 toss game and give you 10$ if you make HHH, and if you do the game ends. It seems to me the expected number of HHH sequences given 10 tosses is now ##(10-2)0.5^3=1##, so I'm pretty confused. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
When we repeat sets of 14 tosses, the average of NNN counts is 1.5. When we repeat tosses until we get first NNN sequence, the average toss times is 14. I think we can distinguish them.

Last edited:
joshmccraney said:
Suppose we toss a coin until we get HHH. On average this will take 14 tosses.

Now how many sequences of HHH would we get if we tossed the coin 14 times? We have 3 sequence positions and 14 units available, meaning we have 14-3+1 = 12 sequence positions available. Each position has 0.5 odds of being heads. So we have ##12*0.5^3 = 1.5 \neq 1##. I'm wondering why these two numbers aren't the same. I'm definitely misunderstanding something here.
The main thing you are missing is independence. As long as the trials are independent the numbers should agree. For example, if you organise the game into separate sets of three tosses, then you have standard binomial trials with ##p = \frac 1 8##.

In the game you describe the trials are not independent. Once you get the first sequence of HHH you have a 50-50 chance of getting another one on the next turn. The sequences of HHH tend to clump together: you have a longish waiting time for the first one (or after a T), then often two or more together.

Note that for the expected time to get HHH you are always starting the game from scratch (effectively a T on a zeroth toss). Whereas, if you start from a random point in a sequence, then you may be starting with H or HH.

joshmccraney said:
As a follow up, so we know it takes 14 tosses on average to get HHH. So if we play a game where you pay 1$ per coin toss, then for the game to be fair if you made HHH you would receive 14 dollars (after you make HHH the game restarts, so you can't let it ride). But now suppose I charge you 10$ for a 10 toss game and give you 10$ if you make HHH, and if you do the game ends. It seems to me the expected number of HHH sequences given 10 tosses is now ##(10-2)0.5^3=1##, so I'm pretty confused. Any help?
Again, the expected number would only be 1 in 10 tosses starting from a random point in the sequence. The game effectively starts with the zeroth toss being a T (which is the worst possible starting point).

Likes member 428835
PS to take an illustrative example. Suppose we have a strict sequence of failures followed by two successes repeated. The game always looks like FFFFFFFFSSFFFFFFFFSS ...

The expected number of successes in a random selection of 10 trials is 2. And, if we start at a random point in the sequence, then the probability the next trial is a success is ##0.2##. But, at the start of the game we always take 9 trials to get a success.

Likes member 428835
Makes tons of sense, thanks!

1. How many times should I toss a coin to get an accurate representation of the values?

The number of tosses needed for an accurate representation depends on the level of accuracy you are looking for. Generally, the more tosses you do, the more accurate the representation will be. However, for a basic understanding, at least 30 tosses are recommended.

2. What is the probability of getting a specific value when tossing a coin?

The probability of getting a specific value when tossing a coin is 50%, as there are only two possible outcomes - heads or tails. This means that in the long run, out of 100 tosses, 50 are expected to be heads and 50 are expected to be tails.

3. Can the values of a coin toss be influenced by external factors?

No, the values of a coin toss are determined by chance and cannot be influenced by external factors. As long as the coin is unbiased and the toss is fair, the outcomes will be random.

4. How can I use coin tosses in scientific experiments?

Coin tosses can be used in scientific experiments as a way to simulate random events or as a control group. For example, in a medical study, coin tosses can be used to determine which participants receive the treatment and which receive a placebo.

5. What is the significance of coin tosses in statistics?

Coin tosses are often used in statistics to demonstrate probability and to create a simple model for understanding more complex statistical concepts. They can also be used to test hypotheses and make predictions in various fields such as economics, finance, and sports.