Wedge constraint relations

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the velocities of a rigid rod and a sliding wedge. The wedge is constrained to stay in contact with the rod, and therefore their relative velocities perpendicular to the contact surface must be equal. However, there is no constraint on their velocities parallel to the contact surface, which may result in the rod sliding off the edge of the wedge if the relative velocity is non-zero. This is due to the displacement constraint imposed by the size of the wedge.
newbie12321
TL;DR Summary
Why is there no constraint on the component of velocities parallel to the contact surface?
There’s a rigid rod pushing on a wedge. Velocity of the rod is v, which is vertically downwards, and the wedge is sliding to the right as a result with a velocity u. There is zero friction on the surface of the wedge and the surface of the rod in contact with the wedge.
According to wedge constraint relations, if the rod stays in contact with the wedge, then its relative velocity with respect to the wedge perpendicular to the contact surface must be zero. It means velocity of the rod and the wedge perpendicular to the contact surface must be equal, i.e

vcosθ = usinθ

My question is, what about their velocities parallel to the contact surface? Is there no constraint on their velocities parallel to the contact surface if both the rod and the wedge have to stay in contact?

If their relative velocity parallel to the contact surface is non-zero, the rod will keep sliding down the wedge, won’t it lose contact with the wedge after it reaches the bottom? Likewise, if the rod were sliding up the wedge, won’t it lose contact when it finally comes off the top of the wedge? Hope I am able to explain what I want to understand. Is it because the wedge doesn’t extend infinitely? This is something I am not able to understand. Please help me with it. I have attached a picture. Thanks

*Edit : Angle of inclination of the wedge is θ, not α

Attachments

• 45Jv6.jpg
    45Jv6.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
newbie12321 said:
Is it because the wedge doesn’t extend infinitely?
That's not a velocity constraint, but a displacement constraint.

A.T. said:
That's not a velocity constraint, but a displacement constraint.
My question is, is there no constraints on their velocities parallel to the contact surface?

newbie12321 said:
My question is, is there no constraints on their velocities parallel to the contact surface?
Why would there be any?

If you require contact with the wedge, there is only ONE constraint .

You can express it in many ways, all equivalent (e.g. the one you mention).

A.T. said:
Why would there be any?
Like I have said in my post, if the component of relative velocity between the rod and the wedge parallel to the contact surface is non-zero, the rod will slide off the edge and will lose contact with the wedge as a result. That's what got me wondering as to why there is no constraint on their velocities parallel to the contact surface?
Hope I am able to explain it well

BvU said:

BvU said:

If the component of relative velocity between the rod and the wedge parallel to the contact surface is non-zero, would the rod not slide off the edge of the wedge, and lose contact with it as a result?

newbie12321 said:
Like I have said in my post, if the component of relative velocity between the rod and the wedge parallel to the contact surface is non-zero, the rod will slide off the edge and will lose contact with the wedge as a result. T
Like I have said in my post, the size of the ramp imposes a displacement constraint, not a velocity constraint.

Likes newbie12321
A.T. said:
Like I have said in my post, the size of the ramp imposes a displacement constraint, not a velocity constraint.
Got it. Thanks a lot.

1. What are wedge constraint relations?

Wedge constraint relations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the forces and moments acting on a wedge-shaped object. They are used to analyze the stability and equilibrium of such objects.

2. How are wedge constraint relations derived?

Wedge constraint relations are derived using principles of statics and vector mathematics. They involve breaking down the forces acting on a wedge into their components and applying equations of equilibrium to determine the relationships between these forces.

3. What is the significance of wedge constraint relations?

Wedge constraint relations are important in engineering and physics as they allow us to analyze the stability and equilibrium of wedge-shaped objects. They are also used in the design and analysis of structures such as bridges and buildings.

4. Can wedge constraint relations be applied to non-wedge-shaped objects?

While wedge constraint relations are specifically derived for wedge-shaped objects, they can also be applied to other objects with similar geometry, such as triangular or pyramidal shapes. However, their accuracy may decrease as the shape deviates further from a wedge.

5. Are there any limitations to using wedge constraint relations?

Wedge constraint relations assume that the object is in static equilibrium, meaning that all forces and moments acting on it are balanced. They may not accurately describe the behavior of an object in dynamic situations or when external forces are constantly changing.