Weight in an Elevator and Normal Force

In summary, the person's weight remains the same when the elevator is moving at a constant speed, but when it begins to slow down at a rate of 4.9 m/s^2, the scale reads a lower weight due to the opposing force of acceleration. The correct answer is C.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

A person who normally weighs 200 lbs is standing on a scale inside of an elevator. The elevator is moving downwards at a constant speed of 7.0 m/s and then begins to slow down at a rate of 4.9 m/s^2. Before the elevator begins to decelerate, the reading of the scale is ____, and while the elevator is slowing down, the scale reads:

A. 200 lbs, 100 lbs.
B. less than 200 lbs, 300 lbs
C. less than 200 lbs, 100 lbs,
D. 200 lbs, 300 lbs.
E. 200 lbs, 200 lbs

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

All a scale knows is the normal force being exerted on it.
Initially there's no acceleration so weight is the same. That eliminates B and C. It then begins to decelerate at 4.9 m/s^2. I thought either which way acceleration is negative. Your velocity is going from being positive to less positive.

F - mg = ma
F = mg + ma
F = 200 lbs (9.8 m/s^2 - 4.9 m/s^2)
I know the units aren't right and my teacher said I wouldn't have to convert but I don't know why I would ADD 4.9 m/s^2. I thought the problem was just giving the magnitude of the deceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
if it's slowing down, in which direction does that imply the acceleration is pointed?

also in questions like this it is possible to use your experience to answer it, that is, if you've got enough experience with elevators.

Last edited:
Ok. I see. If velocity is moving down, in order for it to be slowing down, acceleration has to point in the opposite direction, up.

yep ;)

always make sure you pay close attention to the wording of a problem in order to determine the directions in which the vectors are pointed

Your solution is on the right track, but there are a few errors in your equations and thinking. Let's break it down step by step:

1. Initially, the elevator is moving at a constant speed of 7.0 m/s. This means there is no acceleration, so the normal force (and therefore the weight) will be equal to the person's usual weight of 200 lbs. This eliminates options B, C, and D.

2. As the elevator begins to decelerate, the normal force will decrease. This is because the person's inertia will try to keep them moving at a constant velocity, so the elevator floor will push up on them with less force than their weight. This is where your equation F = ma comes in.

3. In this case, the acceleration is negative because it is in the opposite direction of the velocity (remember, acceleration is a vector quantity). So the equation becomes F = m(-4.9 m/s^2). This is where your teacher's comment about not needing to convert comes in - since the mass is given in pounds, you can use the acceleration in feet per second squared.

4. Plugging in the numbers, we get F = 200 lbs (-4.9 ft/s^2) = -980 lbs*ft/s^2. Now, we can convert this to newtons (the SI unit of force) by using the conversion factor 1 lb*ft/s^2 = 0.4536 N. This gives us a normal force of -445.9 N.

5. Remember, the normal force is a reaction force to the weight - it is the force that the elevator floor exerts on the person to support their weight. So the negative sign just means that the normal force is acting in the opposite direction of the weight (i.e. upwards instead of downwards). Therefore, the scale will read a value of 200 lbs - 445.9 N = -245.9 N. This eliminates options A and E, leaving us with the correct answer of option C.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you!

What is the relationship between weight and normal force in an elevator?

The normal force in an elevator is equal and opposite to the weight of an object. This means that as the weight of an object increases, the normal force also increases.

Why does the reading on a scale change when in an elevator?

The reading on a scale changes in an elevator because the normal force exerted by the scale on an object changes. As the elevator accelerates upwards, the normal force decreases and the reading on the scale decreases. Similarly, as the elevator accelerates downwards, the normal force increases and the reading on the scale increases.

What happens to the normal force when the elevator is at a constant velocity?

When the elevator is at a constant velocity, the normal force is equal to the weight of the object. This is because there is no acceleration and therefore, no change in the normal force.

How does the normal force change in a free-falling elevator?

In a free-falling elevator, the normal force becomes zero. This is because the elevator and the object inside are accelerating at the same rate and there is no contact force between them.

How does the weight of an object affect the normal force in an elevator?

The weight of an object directly affects the normal force in an elevator. As the weight of an object increases, the normal force also increases. This is because the elevator and the object have a greater gravitational attraction, resulting in a greater normal force.