Weightlessness; Ferris Wheel

In summary, a person's apparent weight is the normal force acting on them, and on a Ferris Wheel with a diameter of 28.0m and a revolution time of 13.3 seconds, the ratio of their apparent weight to real weight at the top is 2143.426552/14 and at the bottom is 2143.426552/23.8. This can also be calculated using the equation Fn/m=m(v^2/r), where v is equal to 6.65m/s.
brutalmadness

Homework Statement

The apparent weight a person feels is the normal force that acts on the person. Suppose a Ferris Wheel has a diameter of 28.om and makes one revolution every 13.3 seconds. What is the ratio of a person's apparent weight to real weight a) at the top and b) at the bottom.

Homework Equations

Fn=m(v^2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the circumference. C=[tex]\pi[/tex]196
C=615.7521601
I can get the velocity by dividing that by 13.3.
v=46.2971549 m/s

So, I can then make my ratio comparison.
At top: Fn/m=2143.426552/14
At bottom: Fn/m=2143.426552/14+9.8

1) Am I working the solution out correctly?
2) How should I make my comparison? Should I leave it all in variables Fn/m=v^2/r? Leave it like I have it above? Or completely work it out Fn/m=153.1018966

Physics news on Phys.org
brutalmadness said:

Homework Statement

The apparent weight a person feels is the normal force that acts on the person. Suppose a Ferris Wheel has a diameter of 28.om and makes one revolution every 13.3 seconds. What is the ratio of a person's apparent weight to real weight a) at the top and b) at the bottom.

The person's weight will always be [tex]W=mg[/tex], top or bottom.

However, the person will always be accelerating towards the center of the wheel, and therefore there will be a force counteracting that in the opposite direction. At the top of the wheel, it will be up. At the bottom, down.

That force is [tex]ma=m\frac{v^2}{r}=m4\pi^2 \nu^2 r[/tex]

Is your diameter 196m or 28.0m?

28.0m. But, C=pir^2. So it'd be pi14^2.

[tex]v=\frac{2\pi r}{t}[/tex]

1. What causes weightlessness on a Ferris wheel?

Weightlessness on a Ferris wheel is caused by the centripetal force acting on the riders as the wheel rotates. This force is directed towards the center of the wheel and counteracts the force of gravity, making the riders feel weightless.

2. How fast does a Ferris wheel need to spin for weightlessness to occur?

The speed needed for weightlessness on a Ferris wheel depends on the size and shape of the wheel. Generally, it needs to rotate at a speed of at least 9.8 meters per second squared, which is equal to the acceleration due to gravity. However, this can vary depending on factors such as the radius of the wheel and the position of the riders.

3. Is weightlessness on a Ferris wheel the same as being in outer space?

No, weightlessness on a Ferris wheel is not the same as being in outer space. In outer space, there is no gravitational force acting on the objects, while on a Ferris wheel, the force of gravity still exists, but it is counteracted by the centripetal force.

4. Can everyone experience weightlessness on a Ferris wheel?

In general, yes, everyone can experience weightlessness on a Ferris wheel. However, some people may feel the effects more than others depending on their sensitivity to motion. People with certain medical conditions or who are pregnant may also want to avoid riding a Ferris wheel to avoid any discomfort.

5. Are there any risks associated with weightlessness on a Ferris wheel?

Weightlessness on a Ferris wheel is generally considered safe, as the forces involved are not strong enough to cause any harm. However, people with certain medical conditions or who are prone to motion sickness may experience discomfort. It is always important to follow safety guidelines and regulations while riding a Ferris wheel to avoid any potential risks.