Weightlessness on Earth's Surface

In summary, when standing on the surface of the Earth, the force of gravity pulls you down while the normal force from the ground pushes you up. These forces cancel each other out, resulting in no net force and the sensation of weightlessness. However, to truly feel weightless, you would need to have no normal force at all. In contrast, in free fall, the only force acting on you is gravity, causing you to feel weightless. In the case of a spaceship traveling with a constant velocity in free space, there is zero force, not zero net force, so you would still feel your weight. This concept may seem obvious once you understand it, but it can be confusing when first learning about forces.
Swapnil
Suppose that I am standing on the surface of the Earth. Then the only forces acting on me is the force of gravity that is pulling me down and the normal force exerted by the ground that is pushing me up. These forces are equal and opposite in direction and thus there is no net force acting on me. Then why is it that I don't feel weightless?

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to feel weightless you would need to have no normal force.

It's exactly the opposite. The sensation of weight is given by the normal force acting on you. In free fall the only force acting on you is gravity, so you fell weightless.

I win.

text text text

Really? So if you have no net force acting on yourself, then wouldn't you feel weightless? For example, say you are traveling in a spaceship with a constant velocity in free space with no gravitational force, then aren't you weightless?

So if you have no net force acting on yourself, then wouldn't you feel weightless?

No, you would feel your weight becuase there is a normal force.

In the case of the spaceship, there is zero force, not zero net force.

If you were in freefall, your net force would be F=mg, and you would have an apparent weightlessness, because there is no normal force once again.

Last edited:
Didn't we have this exact question asked in another way in another thread?

No net force does not mean no force, it just means no net force. It seems pretty obvious to me...

Everything is obvious when you know the answer. :wink:

1. What is weightlessness on Earth's surface?

Weightlessness on Earth's surface refers to the apparent feeling of being weightless or experiencing a lack of gravity. This is due to the constant acceleration of Earth's gravity, which counteracts the effects of gravity on our bodies.

2. How is weightlessness achieved on Earth?

Weightlessness on Earth can be achieved in two main ways: through freefall or through a reduced gravity environment. In freefall, the effects of gravity are counteracted by the force of air resistance, giving the illusion of weightlessness. In a reduced gravity environment, such as on the International Space Station, the effects of gravity are significantly reduced, resulting in a feeling of weightlessness.

3. What are the effects of weightlessness on the human body?

Extended periods of weightlessness can have significant effects on the human body, including muscle atrophy, bone density loss, and changes in blood circulation. Astronauts must undergo rigorous exercise routines to counteract these effects while in space.

4. Can objects experience weightlessness on Earth's surface?

No, objects cannot experience weightlessness on Earth's surface. This is because they are constantly being pulled towards the center of the Earth by gravity. The sensation of weightlessness is only experienced by objects when they are in a state of freefall or in a reduced gravity environment.

5. How does weightlessness impact scientific experiments on Earth?

Weightlessness can have a significant impact on scientific experiments, as the effects of gravity can interfere with certain processes and results. Scientists must carefully design and conduct experiments to account for the effects of weightlessness. This is one of the reasons why experiments are often conducted in space or in reduced gravity environments.