Weird Oscillation in wheatstone bridge circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a strange oscillation occurring in a circuit, specifically a wheatstone bridge with a single strain gage. The PST 4130 power supply from Omega Engineering is being used, but after a while, the signal becomes noisy. The noise appears every .002 seconds and oscillates at about 100kHz. The poster suspects it could be noise from the power supply, which is a $180 10 watt power supply that is claimed to be low noise but seems to not be performing well. They suggest contacting the supplier for a possible fix or replacement.
epcole
I have this weird oscillation coming from my circuit. its a wheatstone bridge with a single strain gage. I am using The PST 4130 from Omega Engineering to supply +10vdc. When I first turn it on the signal is pretty clean, but after a while, it turns into this:

[PLAIN]http://www.hiboox.com/go/pictures/computing/export,1e27b7fa699b1d58cdd55d0891f17ce1.jpg.html
link:
http://www.hiboox.com/go/pictures/computing/export,1e27b7fa699b1d58cdd55d0891f17ce1.jpg.html"

I'm using 120ohm resistors. The noise shows up at about every .002sec and oscillate at about 100khz.
Does anyone have an idea what this is and how to get rid of it? It is really throwing off my calculations.

Attachments

• export.jpg
    export.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 530
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like noise from a switched mode power supply.

For a $180 10 watt power supply which is claimed to be low noise, this one isn't very good.

If it is still under warranty, you could call the suppliers and get it fixed. In any case, call them and see what happens.

Related to Weird Oscillation in wheatstone bridge circuit

1. What is a Wheatstone Bridge circuit?

A Wheatstone Bridge circuit is a type of electrical circuit used to measure unknown resistances. It consists of four resistors arranged in a diamond shape with a voltage source and a galvanometer connected in between. By adjusting the resistors, the bridge can be balanced, indicating the unknown resistance.

2. What causes weird oscillation in a Wheatstone Bridge circuit?

Weird oscillation in a Wheatstone Bridge circuit can be caused by several factors, such as a faulty connection, a damaged resistor, or external electromagnetic interference. These factors can disrupt the balance of the bridge, resulting in oscillations.

3. How can I prevent weird oscillation in a Wheatstone Bridge circuit?

To prevent weird oscillation in a Wheatstone Bridge circuit, it is important to ensure all connections are secure and the resistors are in good condition. Shielding the circuit from external interference can also help. Additionally, using a low frequency AC supply and a high-quality galvanometer can reduce the chances of oscillation.

4. Can weird oscillation affect the accuracy of my measurements in a Wheatstone Bridge circuit?

Yes, weird oscillation can affect the accuracy of measurements in a Wheatstone Bridge circuit. If the oscillations are significant, they can disrupt the balance of the bridge and lead to incorrect readings. It is important to minimize oscillations to ensure accurate measurements.

5. How can I troubleshoot weird oscillation in a Wheatstone Bridge circuit?

If you are experiencing weird oscillation in a Wheatstone Bridge circuit, you can troubleshoot by checking all connections, ensuring the resistors are in good condition, and shielding the circuit from external interference. You can also try using a different voltage source or galvanometer to see if that reduces the oscillations. If the problem persists, it may indicate a more serious issue that requires further investigation.