What absorbs impact better, hard plastic or silicon?

In summary, a silicon based shock absorber would be best for a gopro if you're worried about it being smashed into something.
captaincrouton
Hello,

Not sure really where to ask this but I couldn't find a good answer so why not a physics forum, because well this involves physics. I just got a gopro for my fpv drone and I am wondering what type of case to get for it, either a plastic or silicone one. If I am going 30+ mph and smack into a tree what would absorb most of that energy and protect the gopro?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
silicon- absorbs shock better
if you use plastic it will most likely crack depending on how hard it is

verschrankung said:
silicon- absorbs shock better

wonder where you got that info from ?
the silicon I see in semiconductors is very brittle
and I have no idea where you would get sufficient quantities from to encase a gopro ?

captaincrouton said:
what would absorb most of that energy and protect the gopro?

maybe you would be much better looking at Styrofoam or foam rubber

Dave

davenn said:
wonder where you got that info from ?
the silicon I see in semiconductors is very brittle
and I have no idea where you would get sufficient quantities from to encase a gopro ?
maybe you would be much better looking at Styrofoam or foam rubber

Dave
when he said silicon I was assuming a sort of malleable silicon case that is commonly seen in phone cases, not conductor silicon - however I see your point and foam rubber sounds feasible

most mobile phone cases are plastics of one type or another, polycarbonate etc

There are both plastics and silicone based materials that could be used as a shock absorber.
With plastics you have more choice and they are cheaper.

captaincrouton said:
Not sure really where to ask this but I couldn't find a good answer so why not a physics forum, because well this involves physics. I just got a gopro for my fpv drone and I am wondering what type of case to get for it, either a plastic or silicone one. If I am going 30+ mph and smack into a tree what would absorb most of that energy and protect the gopro?
It's not just about the material, but the specific design:
- How the camera is mounted inside the hard box
- How thick the silicon is
- The mechanical weak points of the camera

A.T. said:
- How thick the silicon is

silicone :wink:

Likes NTL2009

1. What is the difference between hard plastic and silicon?

Hard plastic is a rigid material made from synthetic or semi-synthetic organic polymers, while silicon is a flexible material made from a combination of silicon and oxygen atoms.

2. Which material is better at absorbing impact, hard plastic or silicon?

The answer to this question depends on the specific circumstances and the type of impact. Generally, hard plastic is better at absorbing high-energy impacts, while silicon is better at absorbing low-energy impacts.

3. Why is hard plastic better at absorbing high-energy impacts?

Hard plastic has a higher density and stiffness than silicon, which allows it to better distribute and dissipate the energy from an impact. Additionally, hard plastic is less likely to deform or break under high-energy impacts, making it more durable.

4. Why is silicon better at absorbing low-energy impacts?

Silicon is a more flexible material, which allows it to compress and deform under low-energy impacts. This compression helps to absorb and dissipate the energy from the impact, reducing the force felt by the object or person being impacted.

5. Which material should I use for my specific application?

The choice between hard plastic and silicon depends on the specific needs and requirements of your application. If you anticipate high-energy impacts or need a rigid and durable material, hard plastic may be the better choice. If you are concerned about low-energy impacts or need a flexible material, silicon may be the better option.