What alternatives to traditional guns are available for self-defense?

• Thread starter mieral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gun
In summary, this conversation is about new guns that are not based on Newtonian bullets or projectiles. There is no new information available.
mieral
Hi,

I plan to buy a gun for general self or home defense. So many people own guns and I don't even have one. But is there any new guns that are not based on Newtonian bullets or projectile?

For example. What is the smallest plasma or particle beam or laser guns. What are currently available that can be owned (with a license of course as all guns are)? What new others available that don't use bullets?

Physics news on Phys.org
mieral said:
I plan to buy a gun for general self or home defense. So many people own guns and I don't even have one. But is there any new guns that are not based on Newtonian bullets or projectile?
No.
For example. What is the smallest plasma or particle beam or laser guns.
The only one of those that is a real thing is a laser gun and there aren't any handheld ones. The smallest are mounted on ships.
What new others available that don't use bullets?
Tasers are about it.

russ_watters said:
No.

The only one of those that is a real thing is a laser gun and there aren't any handheld ones. The smallest are mounted on ships.

Tasers are about it.

Do tasers that shoots the cords really freeze people.. how long are they in suspended animation? And are the small battery enough to make them still for one hour? And while the cords are in their body.. can't they simply remove the cords or pull them?

Noisy Rhysling said:

Interesting, I had no idea this existed. As far as I can see, it is still very much "Newtonian", though.

<Moderator's note: edited due to reference on deleted post>

Last edited by a moderator:
mieral said:
Do tasers that shoots the cords really freeze people.. how long are they in suspended animation? And are the small battery enough to make them still for one hour? And while the cords are in their body.. can't they simply remove the cords or pull them?
Tasers have limitations, especially with people wearing bulky clothing or who are in a state of delirium for whatever reason. When it does work effectively, the person is only paralyzed for the time that the shock is being delivered (typically a few seconds), and then they are in a postictal-like state for a minute or two. There are risks to the person you are Tasing, BTW. The Wikipedia article is a reasonable place to start to learn about them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser
mieral said:
I plan to buy a gun for general self or home defense. So many people own guns and I don't even have one.
Since it sounds like you have no experience with firearms or home defense strategies, I would recommend that you contact your local shooting ranges to see what classes they offer as an introduction to firearms safety and self-defense. The indoor ranges especially often have classes, and that is the best place to learn about firearms safety and your different options. Please do not go out and buy a weapon without having taken such a class.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters, S.G. Janssens and Bandersnatch
berkeman said:
Since it sounds like you have no experience with firearms or home defense strategies, I would recommend that you contact your local shooting ranges to see what classes they offer as an introduction to firearms safety and self-defense. The indoor ranges especially often have classes, and that is the best place to learn about firearms safety and your different options. Please do not go out and buy a weapon without having taken such a class.
Yes and please, before using a weapon that can kill, think as carefully as possibly about whether that is your only option. Sometimes it is, but please don't do anything that will make you live with regrets.

In this very quantum and relativistic age.. sad we still own primitive Newtonian guns.. isn't it. We must by now have some sort of quantum gun.

By your estimate.. what years in the future when we will have a laser pistol.. or even plasma discharge pistol.. what you think would be developed first or are in conceptual stage?

This thread is locked.

@mieral, in general a thread like this would be problematic for political reasons (we've already had to delete some posts going into politics when they shouldn't), but even as someone pro-gun politically I am disturbed by the naivete of the questions you are asking:

1. You don't seem to know the difference between sci-fi/fantasy and reality, in that you put a sciencey sounding word in front of "gun" and think it means something. "Quantum gun" is not a thing, it's gibberish.
2. You have no knowledge of the gun laws where you live (asked a very poor and now deleted question), so you wouldn't have any idea of when/how you would be allowed to use a gun.

So for this thread, I'm invoking our rules against dangerous activities policy - usually reserved for things like people doing their own electrical work - and recommend that you do not pursue gun ownership until you become substantially more formally educated in the matter.

Likes jackwhirl, Rubidium_71, CalcNerd and 3 others

1. What is a Non-Newtonian Gun?

A Non-Newtonian Gun is a type of firearm that uses a non-Newtonian fluid as its propellant instead of traditional gunpowder. This fluid can change its viscosity and flow properties under different conditions, allowing for more control and precision in firing the gun.

2. How does a Non-Newtonian Gun work?

A Non-Newtonian Gun works by using a piston system to compress the non-Newtonian fluid in the gun's chamber. When the trigger is pulled, the compressed fluid is released, propelling the bullet out of the barrel at high speed.

3. What are the advantages of using a Non-Newtonian Gun?

There are several advantages to using a Non-Newtonian Gun. These include reduced recoil, improved accuracy, and the ability to adjust the viscosity of the fluid to suit different shooting conditions. Non-Newtonian Guns also have a lower risk of accidental explosions compared to traditional firearms.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a Non-Newtonian Gun?

One potential disadvantage of using a Non-Newtonian Gun is the cost of the non-Newtonian fluid, which may be more expensive than traditional gunpowder. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages and may not be as reliable as traditional firearms.

5. Can anyone use a Non-Newtonian Gun?

Non-Newtonian Guns may require specialized training and knowledge to operate safely and effectively. It is important to follow all safety procedures and guidelines when handling any type of firearm. It is also important to check with local laws and regulations before purchasing or using a Non-Newtonian Gun.