What am I doing wrong? chemistry problem

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, to produce 1kg of Br2, one would need 45 liters of salty water (with a density of 1.1kg/L and containing 4700ppm Bromide) to react with chloride gas. The reaction is 2Br- + Cl2 --> Br2 + 2Cl-, and the molar mass of Br is 80g/mol.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

If one leads chloride gas over salty water with a density of 1,1kg/L containing 4700ppm Bromide (Br-) then the bromide shall react with the chloride gas. How much chloride gas does one need to produce 1kg of Br2?

Homework Equations

The reaction is 2Br- + Cl2 --> Br2 + 2Cl-.. not really relevant, I think

The Attempt at a Solution

I think we can safely assume that the average molar mass of the water is ~ 19grams maybe , and thus the molar density is (1,1kg/19gramspermole)L = ~ 59 moles/L

Br- concentration is 4,7 parts per thousand molecules. So concentration of Br- is 59*4,7*10^-3 moles/L = 0,2773moles/L.

We needed 1Kg of Br2/Br-, with the molar mass of Br being 80g/mole. 1kg/80g/mole = 12,5 moles.

12,5 moles/0,2773 moles= 45. We need 45L of salty water to produce 1Kg of Br2, in theory.

But the correct answer is 192L.. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fk, i made quite the typo.. I said average density of the water is 19 grams when i meant average molar mass of the water molecules is roughly 19 grams.. facepalm

anyway can somebody help me?

Nikitin said:
How much chloride gas does one need to produce 1kg of Br2?

The reaction is 2Br- + Cl2 --> Br2 + 2Cl-.. not really relevant, I think

Actually that's the only relevant thing here. You are asked about amount of chloride, not of water. At least that's what you wrote.

goddamn it, I meant how much *water* I need. it was late yesterday

anyway apparently 4700ppm can mean 4700 ppm of a kg, as well as 4700ppm of a mole. I didn't know that, so the problem is solved lol

Ppm can by anything - weight/weight, volume/volume, molecules/molecules (to name only those making sense). W/w is the most common one.

1. Why am I getting a different result than expected?

There are several reasons why you may be getting a different result than expected in a chemistry problem. One common reason is human error, such as misreading measurements or using the wrong formula. Other possible reasons include using expired or contaminated chemicals, not following the correct procedure, or not accounting for all the variables involved in the experiment.

2. How can I fix my mistake in a chemistry problem?

The best way to fix a mistake in a chemistry problem is to carefully review your calculations and steps to identify where the error occurred. If it is a simple calculation error, you can correct it and continue with the problem. However, if the mistake is more complex or involves a fundamental misunderstanding of a concept, it may be necessary to start the problem again from the beginning.

3. Why is my experiment not producing the expected results?

If your experiment is not producing the expected results, it could be due to a number of factors. It is possible that the chemicals or equipment used are not of high enough purity, or that the experimental conditions are not precise enough. It is also important to consider external factors such as temperature, pressure, and humidity, which can all affect the outcome of an experiment.

4. What can I do if I don't understand a concept in a chemistry problem?

If you are struggling to understand a concept in a chemistry problem, there are several steps you can take. First, try reviewing your notes or textbook for a more detailed explanation of the concept. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmates. Additionally, there are many online resources and videos available that can provide a visual and interactive explanation of the concept.

5. How can I prevent making mistakes in chemistry problems?

Mistakes in chemistry problems can be prevented by taking certain precautions. Double-checking calculations and measurements, carefully following procedures, and using high-quality equipment and chemicals are all important steps for reducing the likelihood of errors. It is also helpful to have a clear understanding of the underlying concepts and to ask for clarification if needed.