Calculating Mass in a Gas Stoichiometry Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a chemistry problem involving the reaction between zirconium metal and chlorine gas to form zirconium (IV) chloride. The participants discuss the volume of chlorine gas required to produce 200mL of ZrCl4 at specific conditions and the mass of zirconium that will be used up in the reaction. The final answer for the mass of zirconium is determined to be 0.176 grams.
Lili123
Hi all,
While studying for my exam (and doing review questions) I came across a problem that I couldn't solve:

5. Zirconium metal and chlorine gas react to form zirconium (IV) chloride
Zr + 2Cl2 = ZrCl4
a) What volume of chlorine gas must be used at 350 degrees Celsius and 50 kPa to produce 200mL of ZrCl4 under the same conditions?

Figured out this part, and it comes to 400mL of chlorine gas.

b) What mass of zirconium will be used up?This part I had trouble on. I used the moles of chlorine gas to do this, though it feels like I'm doing something wrong, could someone let me know if what I am doing is right? We don't have an answer key... Thanks in advance!

0.003860124 mols Cl2 * 1 mol Zr / 2 mols Cl2 * 91.224g/mol Zr = 0.176 g Zr

Physics news on Phys.org
Lili123 said:
0.003860124 mols Cl2

Why 0.00386 moles of Cl2?

Borek said:
Why 0.00386 moles of Cl2?
Because in part A of the question I determined the moles of ZrCl4 using this formula: n = PV / RT and then used the mole ratio to convert to Cl2.
n = (50) (0.200) / (8.3145) (623.15) * 2mols Cl2 / 1mol ZrCl4 = 0.003860124

Oops, you are right. I used a wrong volume in my calculations.

0.176 g of Zr is a correct answer.

1. What is gas stoichiometry?

Gas stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction involving gases. It allows us to calculate the amounts of reactants needed or products produced in a given reaction.

2. How do you solve a gas stoichiometry problem?

The steps to solve a gas stoichiometry problem are:
1. Write a balanced chemical equation.
2. Convert the given information into moles, using the ideal gas law if necessary.
3. Use the mole ratio from the balanced equation to calculate the moles of the desired substance.
4. Convert the moles back into the desired units (grams, liters, etc.) if needed.

3. What units are used in gas stoichiometry?

The most commonly used units in gas stoichiometry are moles, liters, and grams. Moles are used to measure the amount of substance, liters are used to measure volume, and grams are used to measure mass.

4. How does temperature and pressure affect gas stoichiometry calculations?

Temperature and pressure are important factors in gas stoichiometry calculations because they affect the volume and moles of gases. As temperature increases, the volume of a gas increases, and as pressure increases, the volume decreases. This must be taken into account when using the ideal gas law to calculate moles of a gas.

5. What is the ideal gas law and how is it used in gas stoichiometry?

The ideal gas law is PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. It is used in gas stoichiometry to calculate the number of moles (n) of a gas when given the other variables. This can then be used in stoichiometry calculations to determine the amount of reactants or products in a given reaction.