What animals are good example of natural enemy in PA setting

In summary, the animals would change to fill new niches, but the biggest threats would be invasive species and humans.
Graw
I am writing story about Earth set 1000 years in future and I am looking for good example of living animals. So far I had wolves or dogs on my mind, how would they change in 1000 years?

Physics news on Phys.org
Natural enemy of what?

I'm going to use my powers of psychic ability to guess that PA stands for post apocalypse.

This is my contribution to this thread.

Likes Ryan_m_b, berkeman and Evo
Bystander said:
Natural enemy of what?
Man

Googling around, "natural enemy" appears to be dramatic overstatement of a "predator-prey relationship." Biological hazards? Pythons --- seem to be thriving in Florida; you might postulate "giant" cane toads; big cats could make a comeback in the time frame you've given.
Graw said:
how would they change in 1000 years?
"Rough" estimate of speciation/evolutionary rate for vertebrates is one species per three thousand generations given circumstances in which a population is isolated, moves into a new niche, isolated from the parent species. You might see emergence of aggressive rodents, several generations per year; larger species won't really have had time to change much.
This the sort of thing you're after?

Rats and roaches would abound. Cats might survive, they tend to be able to survive without humans fairly well, 1,000 years wouldn't be long enough to see much change for them though, if any. See what bystander said.

You failed to say what happened and how animals/humans were affected. We can't help you if we don't know.

Bystander said:
larger species won't really have had time to change much.
not physically but as you mention they may adapt behaviour to fill new niches.

Graw said:
I am writing story about Earth set 1000 years in future and I am looking for good example of living animals. So far I had wolves or dogs on my mind, how would they change in 1000 years?
Too short time for any story interesting evolution process. All what you'd get would be wolves (or so wild dogs, that you'd barely see any difference)

Adaptive invasive insect species from a different continent would not be cool enough, right? (bees, wasp, whatever)

Before the apocalypse there were no military genetic projects which test subject could go wild?

Well it's story about humans who were forced to leave to an another planet which is colonised by that time they leave, most of cities are forests now and I need some dangerous animals to live there.

Graw said:
Bystander said:
Natural enemy of what?
Man
Feral mothers-in-law?

Likes phinds
In groups, the only real danger to humans is other humans. We were apex predators long before we civilized. Individually, we are weak, in groups, with weapons, and fire, nothing's going to attack us for food.

For individuals, feral dogs would probably be a big threat, they're smart, tough, and hunt in packs, a single human would make a nice meal. In parts of the world were big cats are common, they will be a major threat. I think the biggest threats would be small, not large: rats, bugs, infection... Most of the animals big enough to kill a person to eat it, are very intelligent, they weigh risk vs reward and in terms of the amount of meat we have for the hassle and risk it'd be to kill us, they'd rather hunt rats.

Raccoons and bears would probably be a really big problem because of their intelligence, not a danger to us per ce, but competition for resources.

In a post apocalyptic world, I would think the monsters in our minds would be worse than the monsters outside. Without education and a connected network of information, we'd quickly become ignorant of the nature of the outside world. They'll know the animals in their immediate vicinity, but beyond that... here be dragons.

smallpox

How about huge swarms of killer ants?

1. What animals are considered natural enemies in a Pennsylvania setting?

Some common natural enemies in Pennsylvania include predator-prey relationships such as foxes and rabbits, hawks and mice, and coyotes and deer. Invasive species like feral cats and wild hogs can also act as natural enemies to native species.

2. How do natural enemies impact the ecosystem in Pennsylvania?

Natural enemies play a crucial role in maintaining balance within an ecosystem. They control populations of certain species, preventing overgrazing and other negative impacts. However, they can also cause declines in certain species if their populations become too large.

3. Do natural enemies only target prey animals?

No, natural enemies can also target other predators. For example, a larger predator may hunt and kill a smaller predator in order to eliminate competition for resources.

4. Are there any natural enemies that are beneficial to humans in Pennsylvania?

Yes, some natural enemies can be beneficial to humans. For example, birds of prey like hawks and owls help control rodent populations, which can be a nuisance to humans. Additionally, some insects that prey on crop pests can be considered natural enemies that benefit farmers.

5. How can humans help maintain natural enemy populations in Pennsylvania?

Humans can help maintain natural enemy populations by protecting and preserving their habitats. This includes preserving forests, wetlands, and other natural areas where these animals live. Additionally, reducing the use of pesticides and other harmful chemicals can also help maintain natural enemy populations.