What are Joey's interests and goals in science and on the forum?

• Thread starter JoeyJoystick
  • Start date
In summary, Joey is highly interested in science and has a strong passion for learning and exploring new topics in the field. He is particularly interested in physics, biology, and chemistry and enjoys delving into complex scientific concepts. On the forum, Joey's main goal is to share his knowledge and engage in discussions with others who share his enthusiasm for science. He also hopes to learn from others and expand his understanding of different scientific areas. Overall, Joey's interests and goals revolve around continuously learning and contributing to the scientific community.
JoeyJoystick
How did you find PF?
Google
Hi All,

I am Joey. I am from the Netherlands and I am living in Thailand. At 51 I feel like I can come out of the closet. I love physics and astronomy and where the 2 combine it only gets better. However, I am just an average Joe I guess and occasionally I have questions. And the fact that I kind neglected my mathematics at school doesn't help my case either. Although, generally speaking, I do find Mathematics easy to understand; I have some obvious limits there. I figured this would be a good place to ask. I will help where I can, but from the above you can figure that I'll be leaching more than contributing I am afraid. But I am going to try to prove myself wrong.

I have had a few ideas over the years. I will start sharing them with you and I am looking forward to some insights from people. The ideas are probably a bit too far outside of the box, but hey, isn't this how many great ideas started? So better share and maybe, just maybe, there is something to it.

For the rest there is a whole bunch of other things that I like and/or am interested in. Politics is one of them. Not fun discussing on a forum since people tend to get aggressive about all kinds of nonsense. And without a doubt, the next big interest is model airplanes. Most specifically sea planes. The last one build was a lake renegade at 2.6m wingspan and I am now working on a 4.5m grumman goose, but it is still doubtful if this project will ever really get built.

Furthermore, I have an amazing girlfriend and together we have a beautiful little boy of 1.5 years old. He's a crazy little bugger with too much energy but he has a good heart and has a good sense of humor.

And for the rest, I guess you can just ask me if you want to know.

Looking forward to see you guys around.

Joey

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums, Joey! :smile:
JoeyJoystick said:
I have had a few ideas over the years. I will start sharing them with you and I am looking forward to some insights from people. The ideas are probably a bit too far outside of the box, but hey, isn't this how many great ideas started? So better share and maybe, just maybe, there is something to it.
Please keep in mind that we don't allow discussions about personal ideas or theories in the technical PF forums. We discuss science as published in the mainstream journals and textbooks. If you have questions about mainstream science, the PF is a great place to post and learn.
JoeyJoystick said:
And without a doubt, the next big interest is model airplanes. Most specifically sea planes. The last one build was a lake renegade at 2.6m wingspan and I am now working on a 4.5m grumman goose, but it is still doubtful if this project will ever really get built.
You should start a thread in the DIY forum to show off your work! I don't think we've had a DIY thread about model airplanes yet. :smile:

Likes phinds
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like your interest in science will make you right at home here. As for your own theories, I echo what @berkeman has said plus here's something that I have said before:

When you come up with an idea that seems to completely be against established science, it is not a good idea to start off reaching different conclusions and stating them as correct but rather to start off with the assumption that you have made a mistake somewhere and try to find out where it is. If you have NOT made a mistake you will find the flaw in the established science, but that is extraordinarily unlikely to happen. If you start off thinking that you have overturned established science you are likely to just end up embarrassed.

So a question like "why am I wrong in thinking that ... ?" is fine, but something that amounts to "As opposed to published science, I think that ... " is a terrible idea.

phinds said:
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like your interest in science will make you right at home here. As for your own theories, I echo what @berkeman has said plus here's something that I have said before:
So a question like "why am I wrong in thinking that ... ?" is fine, but something that amounts to "As opposed to published science, I think that ... " is a terrible idea.
Gentlemen,

My apologies. I had already started a thread. And I am reading this only now. I will keep that in mind for the next time though. And fortunately I think I can say that my first post is a little bit in the lining of what you are saying, so I hope this is acceptable.

Joey

Likes berkeman