What are phase space coordinates and how do you plot them?

In summary, the conversation discusses phase space coordinates and how to show that they correspond to a circular orbit. The concept of phase space and its coordinates is briefly explained, and the idea of a circular orbit is introduced. However, further information or details are needed to fully demonstrate the circular orbit.
MattIverson

Homework Statement

I have phase space coordinates (x0,y0,z0,vx,vy,vz)=(1,0,0,0,1,0). I need to analytically show that these phase space coordinates correspond to a circular orbit.

Homework Equations

r=sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

My core problem here is maybe that I don't understand what a phase space is on a deep level. I've read that each of the coordinates corresponds to a motion, but I don't really understand what that means.

My first thought was that this corresponds to a circular orbit because if you imagine an x,y,z axis and you put a point at (1,0,0) then move that point in the y direction (because there's a 1 in the vy spot) you'll get a circular movement. Not sure if that makes sense...

Physics news on Phys.org
MattIverson said:
show that these phase space coordinates correspond to a circular orbit
You'll need a bit more than you have posted now. A point in phase space is just what you quote: a position (0,0,0) and a velocity (0,1,0), in your case at some t= t0.

These two can be on an infinite amount of circles, but I suppose there is something in your complete problem statement that refers to a circle around the origin in the x,y plane with radius 1 ?

To keep the point on a circle you need some force, a constraint or so.

1. What are phase space coordinates?

Phase space coordinates are a set of variables that describe the state of a physical system. They include position, momentum, and other relevant quantities that determine the behavior of the system over time.

2. How do you plot phase space coordinates?

To plot phase space coordinates, you need to choose two or more of the variables and plot them on a graph. Each point on the graph represents a different state of the system, and the trajectory of the points over time can reveal patterns and behaviors of the system.

3. What is the significance of phase space coordinates?

Phase space coordinates are significant because they allow scientists to visualize and analyze the behavior of complex physical systems. They can reveal important patterns and relationships that would not be apparent from looking at individual variables.

4. Can phase space coordinates be used for any type of system?

Yes, phase space coordinates can be used for any type of system, as long as the variables are well-defined and the system can be described using mathematical equations.

5. How do phase space coordinates relate to classical mechanics?

Phase space coordinates are a fundamental concept in classical mechanics. They allow scientists to describe and analyze the behavior of systems using mathematical equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion.