What are postulates and what are derived?

• Thread starter I_am_learning
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Postulates
In summary, quantum mechanics is based on several postulates, including the concept of states and observables represented by self-adjoint operators on a Hilbert space, as well as the use of density operators and the dynamics defined by a Hamiltonian or other equations. Understanding these postulates is essential for comprehending topics like wave functions and de Broglie waves. It is recommended to refer to textbooks or lecture notes for a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics.
I_am_learning
I have now understood special Relativity and now going to study quantum mechanics. But I am having hard time to understand the proofs of different phenomenas like barrier tunneling. I am also not understanding the wave function and the de-Broglie waves.
So please anyone here could list me what are the basic postulates one has to assume in order to read-on quantum mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll probably struggle to understand either the wave function or de broglie waves if you just know the postulates of quantum mechanics. It sounds like you really need a proper textbook, or at the very least a decent set of lecture notes. There's billions of discussions of QM textbooks in the academic guidance/book discussion forum.

It looks to me that wikipedia is more rigorous here
Postulates of quantum mechanics
The following summary of the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics can be partly traced back to von Neumann's postulates.
  • Each physical system is associated with a (topologically) separable complex Hilbert space H with inner product [itex] \langle \phi | \psi \rangle[/itex]. Rays (one-dimensional subspaces) in H are associated with states of the system.
  • The Hilbert space of a composite system is the Hilbert space tensor product of the state spaces associated with the component systems.
  • Physical symmetries act on the Hilbert space of quantum states unitarily or antiunitarily due to Wigner's theorem.
  • Physical observables are represented by densely-defined self-adjoint operators on H.
The expected value (in the sense of probability theory) of the observable A for the system in state represented by the unit vector [itex] | \psi \rangle \in H [/itex] is
[tex]\langle\psi|A|\psi\rangle[/tex]
By spectral theory, we can associate a probability measure to the values of A in any state [itex]\psi[/itex]. We can also show that the possible values of the observable A in any state must belong to the spectrum of A. In the special case A has only discrete spectrum, the possible outcomes of measuring A are its eigenvalues.

More generally, a state can be represented by a so-called density operator, which is a trace class, nonnegative self-adjoint operator [itex]\rho[/itex] normalized to be of trace 1. The expected value of A in the state [itex]\rho[/itex] is
[tex]\text{tr}\left(A\rho\right)[/tex]
If [itex]\rho_\psi[/itex] is the orthogonal projector onto the one-dimensional subspace of H spanned by [itex]\psi[/itex], then
[tex]\text{tr}\left(A\rho_\psi\right)=\langle\psi|A|\psi\rangle[/tex]
Density operators are those that are in the closure of the convex hull of the one-dimensional orthogonal projectors. Conversely, one-dimensional orthogonal projectors are extreme points of the set of density operators. Physicists also call one-dimensional orthogonal projectors pure states and other density operators mixed states.
To that we only need to add the dynamics. This can be defined via a Hamiltonian, a Lagrangian, (if the system has a familiar classical counterpart) the correspondance rule (replace the Poisson bracket by a(n anti)commutator), or even directly by a dispersion rule or wave equation such as the Shrodinger equation.

1. What are postulates in science?

Postulates are basic assumptions or principles that are accepted as true without proof. They serve as the foundation for developing theories or explaining phenomena in science.

2. How are postulates different from hypotheses?

Postulates are accepted as true without proof, whereas hypotheses are proposed explanations or predictions that require testing and evidence to support them. Postulates are also more general and fundamental compared to hypotheses.

3. Can postulates change over time?

Yes, postulates can change over time as new evidence is discovered that may contradict or modify the previous assumptions. This is a natural part of the scientific process and allows for the refinement and improvement of theories.

4. What are derived postulates?

Derived postulates are principles that are based on or derived from more basic postulates. They are built upon the existing framework of postulates and are used to explain more complex phenomena or theories.

5. How are postulates used in scientific research?

Postulates serve as the starting point for scientific research, providing a set of accepted principles and assumptions from which hypotheses can be generated and tested. They also help to guide the development and refinement of theories in a systematic and logical manner.