What are singular and double seesaw?

In summary, The conversation discusses the different types of seesaw mechanisms used to explain smallness of neutrino mass, such as type-I and II. The speaker expresses their lack of understanding of double and singular seesaw and requests for clarification. Another person offers a paper on the math behind double seesaw and an older paper on the singular variety.
Riotto
I have just started reading about neutrino physics and recently came across two terms called double seesaw and singular seesaw. Although I’m familiar with other seesaw mechanisms (such as type-I and II) for explaining smallness of neutrino mass. I’m completely at dark about double and singular seesaw. If someone can help me understand those it would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really help here but I did find this paper describing some of the math behind the principles which might help you gain some understanding of the differences.

https://journals.aps.org/prd/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevD.70.053012

and this older paper on the singular variety:

http://people.hws.edu/tjallen/PDF/tjallen/neutrino.pdf

Likes Riotto

Related to What are singular and double seesaw?

What are singular and double seesaw?

Singular and double seesaw are theoretical frameworks used in particle physics to explain the origin of neutrino masses. They involve the introduction of heavy particles (singlet and doublet fermions) to the Standard Model of particle physics.

How do singular and double seesaw differ?

The main difference between singular and double seesaw is the number of heavy particles introduced. In singular seesaw, only one heavy singlet fermion is added, while in double seesaw, both a heavy singlet and a heavy doublet fermion are added.

What is the role of singular and double seesaw in explaining neutrino masses?

The introduction of heavy particles in singular and double seesaw leads to the violation of lepton number conservation, which allows for the generation of small neutrino masses through a mechanism called "seesaw mechanism". This mechanism explains why neutrino masses are much smaller than other particle masses.

Are there any experimental evidences for singular and double seesaw?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for singular and double seesaw. However, the predictions of these frameworks are consistent with the observed properties of neutrinos, such as their small masses and oscillation patterns.

What are the implications of singular and double seesaw for particle physics?

The existence of singular and double seesaw would support the idea of grand unification, where all fundamental forces are unified at high energies. It could also shed light on the nature of dark matter and the matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe.