What are some best options for PCB design software?

In summary,-There is no such thing as "best" - everyone will suggest using something else, as a lot depends on personal preferences and specific needs.-When selecting a PCB design software, it is important to consider personal preferences and what other software packages the user has used in the past. -Some software packages are better for simple projects, others are better for large ones, and some are easier to learn.
Vijayent
I need help in selecting best pcb design software out of kicad, eagle and altium. I have to design pcb for my project. But I am having confusion in these software.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as "best" - everyone will suggest using something else, as a lot depends on personal preferences and specific needs. Some are better for simple projects, some are better for large ones, some are easier to learn, some are quite difficult initially.

I did several projects in Eagle (before it was bought by Autodesk, so no idea about the latest version) - the UI is a bit strange and doesn't follow Windows intuitions, but after some initial struggle I find it reasonably good for my needs.

Likes dlgoff and berkeman
Vijayent said:
I need help in selecting best pcb design software out of kicad, eagle and altium. I have to design pcb for my project. But I am having confusion in these software.
I second the comments by @Borek

Can you say a bit about your background? How much experience do you have with designing circuits (schematics and PCBs)? How complex is this design for your project? Analog, Digital, Mixed Signal? How many PCB layers do you anticipate using? What size PCB do you anticipate for the design? Will it be 1-sided SMT, 2-sided SMT, or mixed SMT/Through-Hole? How many will be built?

Have you looked at those websites to see if the GUIs seem intuitive or not? As @Borek says, some are more intuitive than others, and it may depend on what other software packages you have used in the past.

Also, I know that the Eagle layout package is tied pretty well to the Eagle schematic capture program (which I also dislike) -- what schematic packages are used with the other 2 layout packages? It is generally a positive thing if there is a tight bond between a schematic package and a layout package. It's not a requirement, but it is still a plus. (For example, I do schematics in OrCAD, and our layout folks use PADS and other layout packages...)

Likes dlgoff
Vijayent,
You should Google around and look at youtube for instruction videos. This will give you some feel for the various tools and how they like to do things. Some things you'll definitely want to answer before you dive in is: where are your parts libraries coming from and what do they require? How are you going to get the board manufactured and what do they require?

When I copied your question into Google this was the first hit. Seems like a reasonable place to start to me.
https://circuitdigest.com/tutorial/best-pcb-design-software

For my $0.02. I really like what Autodesk has done with Eagle 8.6

The last layout software I used was PCBArtist. It is a program offered by Advanced Circuits which is a board house I have used in the past. I like it.

1. What are the top PCB design software options?

Some of the best options for PCB design software include Altium Designer, Eagle PCB, OrCAD, KiCAD, and Cadence Allegro.

2. Are there any free PCB design software options?

Yes, there are several free PCB design software options available, such as KiCAD, Eagle PCB, and PCBWeb.

3. What features should I look for in a PCB design software?

When choosing a PCB design software, you should look for features such as schematic capture, layout editor, 3D visualization, design rule checks, and simulation capabilities.

4. Can PCB design software handle complex designs?

Yes, most PCB design software can handle complex designs, but it is important to choose a software that is suitable for your specific design needs.

5. How much does PCB design software cost?

The cost of PCB design software varies depending on the features and capabilities. Some software options may have a one-time purchase fee, while others may have a subscription-based pricing model. There are also free options available for those on a budget.