What are some challenging chemistry questions and how can they be solved?

• Thread starter ~angel~
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses three different questions related to chemistry and physics. The first question involves calculating the molar activity of 3H (tritium) in curie, given its half life and decay rate. The second question is about the energy required to ionize a 3p electron of an excited sodium atom and converting it to kJ/mol. The third question involves calculating the equilibrium constant for a reaction between I- (aq) and I2 (aq) in a saturated solution of iodine in water, using a 0.100 M KI solution. The conversation also includes a helpful tip to use diagrams for the second question.
~angel~
I'm just having some trouble answering a few of these questions.

1.Calculate the molar activity of 3H (tritium) (in curie), given it's half life is 12.26 years.

My calculations=

T(1/2) = ln2/Y (where Y=decay rate)

Y=ln2/(12.26*365*24*60*60) = 1.79*10^-9

Molar activity= Y*6.022*10^23 = 1.08*10^15

In curie = (1.08*10^15)/(3.70*10^10)

= 2.92*10^4 curie

The answer according to the solutions is 2.916*10^3 curie/mol. I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I just wanted to get it checked. The question states its meant to be answered in curie, not curie/mol anyway.

2. The energy associated with one photon of light when an electron drops from it's first excited state back to it's ground state is 3.37*10^-19 J.

The ionisation energy of ground state sodium is 8.34*10^-19 J per atom. Calculate the energy required to ionise the 3p electron of an excited sodium atom. Give your answer in kJ/mol.

3. A saturated solution of iodine in water contains 0.330g I2 per litre, but more than this amount can dissolve in a potassium iodide soltion because of the following equilibrium.

I-(aq) + I2(aq) <---> I3-(aq)

A 0.100 M KI solution dissolves 12.5g of I2 per litre, most of which is converted to I3-(aq). Assuming that the concentration of I2(aq) in all saturated solutions is the same, calculate the equilibrium constant for the above reaction.

Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first looks okay to me.For the second,i'd do a diagram with the 3 energy levels involved,if i were you...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
The first looks okay to me.For the second,i'd do a diagram with the 3 energy levels involved,if i were you...

Daniel.

Ok. Thanks for that. That really helped me. I didn't think diagrams were usually that helpful. :smile:

Related to What are some challenging chemistry questions and how can they be solved?

What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance that is made up of only one type of atom. A compound, on the other hand, is a substance made up of two or more different elements that are chemically bonded together.

What is the periodic table and how is it organized?

The periodic table is a chart that organizes all known elements based on their atomic structure and properties. It is organized in rows and columns, with elements in the same column sharing similar properties.

What is the difference between a chemical and a physical change?

A chemical change results in the formation of new substances with different properties, while a physical change does not create new substances. Examples of chemical changes include burning wood and rusting of iron, while examples of physical changes include melting ice and tearing paper.

What are the three states of matter and how do they differ?

The three states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. Solids have a fixed shape and volume, liquids have a fixed volume but can change shape, and gases have neither a fixed shape nor volume. These differences are due to the arrangement and movement of particles in each state.

What is the difference between an exothermic and endothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction releases heat to the surroundings, resulting in an increase in temperature. In contrast, an endothermic reaction absorbs heat from the surroundings, causing a decrease in temperature. Exothermic reactions are often spontaneous, while endothermic reactions require an input of energy to occur.