What are some design methods for building a strong flour dough platform?

• Thread starter Marwah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Platform
In summary, a first year Engineering student is meant to design and build a flour-based dough platform that can stand on a smooth hard surface and support 2 kg. The dough can be made with up to 2 cups (250 mL each) of flour, with one hen’s egg, any amount of salt and colouring. No other material that adds to the strength of the structure can be used. The platform can be tested by placing a 2 litre milk container on top and slowly filling it with water.
Marwah
Hello .I am a first year Engineering student we are meant to build and design a platform structure made from flour-based dough (kitchen concrete) that can stand on a smooth hard surface and support 2 kg. You may use up to 2 cups (250 mL each) of flour, with one hen’s egg (though some people say only adds flavour and not strength), any amount of salt and colouring. No other material that adds to the strength of the structure can be used. It is likely that you will dry or bake the dough in an oven or microwave. To test the platform you could, e.g., place a 2 litre milk container on top and slowly fill it with water. You should aim to maximise the height of your structure within the constraints given and any additional constraints you encounter.

The flour can be any type, but you might like to find out a little about the differences between them. Salt is used in making “salt dough”, recipes for which can be found on the internet. Some people claim that a little salt adds strength.

Although your main objective is to design, build and test your structure, you will need to carry out a rational, quantitative study of properties of your dried or cooked dough first. For example you could measure the maximum load, or deflection of a horizontal beam supported at each end. You are expected to use this data when making design decisions.

There are no marks given for the best or highest platform, but marks will be given for your description of design methods to achieve a high platform.
Can anyone give me some suggestions about how to start ?I am kind of confused with the whole thing !:frown: .I don't know what the shape of the design is meant 2 be ? Is it like a small bed ?or is it like a tower ? Also please if anyone has any websites or resources it will be more than amazing .please .

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are being thrown off by glare from the 'unusual' nature of the material.

I don't know what the shape of the design is meant 2 be

Seems pretty clear to me, unlike your English.

design a platform structure

Put some sunshades on and read your own text again carefully, I think you will actually know most of what you need.

Oh thank you (studiot) for your reply .The problem is solved now .It is not too bad actually and you are right it is way better than my crazy English .

1. What is "The Flour Dough Platform"?

"The Flour Dough Platform" is a scientific research platform designed for studying the properties and behaviors of flour dough. It is equipped with specialized instruments and tools for conducting experiments and collecting data on the physical, chemical, and mechanical properties of dough.

2. How does "The Flour Dough Platform" work?

The platform works by providing a controlled environment for conducting experiments on flour dough. Researchers can manipulate variables such as temperature, humidity, and ingredient composition to study the effects on dough properties. The platform also has sensors and cameras to collect data and record observations during experiments.

3. What are the benefits of using "The Flour Dough Platform"?

Using this platform allows for more precise and controlled experiments, leading to more accurate and reliable data. It also provides a standardized method for studying dough properties, making it easier to compare results from different experiments. The platform can also help researchers understand the underlying mechanisms of dough behavior and potentially improve dough production processes.

4. Who can use "The Flour Dough Platform"?

The platform is available for use by scientists, researchers, and students studying the properties and behaviors of flour dough. It can be used for both academic and industrial research purposes.

5. How can one access "The Flour Dough Platform"?

The platform can be accessed by contacting the research team responsible for its development and maintenance. Researchers can apply for access and, if approved, will be given a designated time slot to use the platform for their experiments. The platform may also be available for use through collaborations or partnerships with the research team.