What Are Some Inspiring Quotes About Math and Mathematicians?

• Thread starter Kontilera
  • Start date
In summary: A mathematician is a machine which turns coffee into theorems"This quote is very suitable for the purpose. It speaks to the creative aspect of mathematics and how it can help us solve problems.
Kontilera
Hello!
Im working as a math teacher on an upper secondary school sweden.
As a last project for the students into programming I´m giving out a exercise where they should plot the roots of first, second and third order polynomials with integer coefficients (in a given interval). Hopefully resulting in some cool pictures of the complex plane.

The best picture when will be printed on a A1 paper and hung on the wall in the classroom.

However! I would also like to have a nice qoute along with the image. Which is the purpose of this thread. :)

The qoute should peferably adress the questions 'what is math?' or 'what is a mathematician doing?'.
Something along the lines of Erdös:
"A mathematician is a machine which turns coffee into theorems" but more inspiring!

I know that Grothendieck has written about this in his personal but published notes. But since I can't understand french I have a hard time finding qoutes that's suits.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I´m very thankful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I read this in an article in Popular Mechanics (I believe). The article was something along the lines of: "25 things that Dad's should inspire their kid's to do"

One of the 25 things was: "Learn a second language, preferably Mathematics."

To me, It means that Mathematics is important to us in communicating ideas with each other - and also it is a common language between cultures.

Likes berkeman and CalcNerd
Kontilera said:
Do you guys have any suggestions? I´m very thankful for any help.
Here is a webpage with many quotes:
http://www.azquotes.com/author/41948-Alexander_Grothendieck
I find the first one by Grothendiek especially suited for the purpose:

"Discovery is the privilege of the child: the child who has no fear of being once again wrong, of looking like an idiot, of not being serious, of not doing things like everyone else." (Alexander Grothendieck)

Likes QuantumQuest
fresh_42 said:
Here is a webpage with many quotes:
http://www.azquotes.com/author/41948-Alexander_Grothendieck
I find the first one by Grothendiek especially suited for the purpose:

"Discovery is the privilege of the child: the child who has no fear of being once again wrong, of looking like an idiot, of not being serious, of not doing things like everyone else." (Alexander Grothendieck)

Thats a very good suggestion for the classroom!

Kontilera said:
Thats a very good suggestion for the classroom!
Although your English is nearly perfect you may like to know that it is "quote" rather than "qoute". That said, careful users of English would use "quotation" as the noun and "quote" as the verb. But that distinction is rarely observed these days.

Likes scottdave and fresh_42
PeroK said:
Although your English is nearly perfect you may like to know that it is "quote" rather than "qoute". That said, careful users of English would use "quotation" as the noun and "quote" as the verb. But that distinction is rarely observed these days.

Thanks for the advice!

PeroK said:
Although your English is nearly perfect you may like to know that it is "quote" rather than "qoute".
Fixed in thread title.

I also find this quotation by John von Neumann suited

"If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is."

Likes nuuskur
«Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics.» - Dean Schlicter

«To most outsiders, modern mathematics is unknown territory. Its borders are protected by dense thickets of technical terms; its landscapes are a mass of indecipherable equations and incomprehensible concepts. Few realize that the world of modern mathematics is rich with vivid images and provocative ideas.» - Ivars Peterson

«But mathematics is the sister, as well as the servant, of the arts and is touched with the same madness and genius.» - Harold Marston Morse

«Still more astonishing is that world of rigorous fantasy we call mathematics.»
- Gregory Bateson

«The mathematics are usually considered as being the very antipodes of Poesy. Yet Mathesis and Poesy are of the closest kindred, for they are both works of the imagination.» - Thomas Hill

1. What is the meaning behind your favourite quote on math?

My favourite quote on math is "Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms: it is about understanding." by William Paul Thurston. This quote reminds us that math is not just about memorizing formulas and solving problems, but it is about truly comprehending and grasping the concepts and principles behind them.

2. Why did you choose this particular quote on math as your favourite?

I chose this quote because it highlights the importance of understanding in mathematics. As a scientist, I believe that true understanding is key in any field of study, and this quote captures that idea perfectly.

3. Do you think this quote applies to all areas of math?

Absolutely. This quote applies to all areas of math, from basic arithmetic to advanced calculus. No matter how complex the concept may be, true understanding is always the goal.

4. How do you think this quote can inspire others to appreciate math?

This quote can inspire others by shifting their perspective on math. Instead of seeing it as a boring and tedious subject, they can see it as a way to gain deeper understanding and knowledge. It can also encourage individuals to approach math with a growth mindset, knowing that with effort and practice, they can truly understand and excel in it.

5. Can you relate this quote to your personal experiences with math?

Definitely. Throughout my academic and professional career as a scientist, I have realized the importance of understanding in math. I have seen how truly comprehending a concept can lead to breakthroughs and innovations. This quote serves as a constant reminder for me to not just solve problems, but to strive for understanding in my work.