What are some introductory texts for extra dimensions and branes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an introductory text on extra dimensions for a course in BSM. The speaker mentions a specific text but is looking for something more basic. The topics covered in the lectures include KK-reduction, compactification on an interval, interactions, gauge fields, fermions in 5D, and large extra dimensions. The speaker is having trouble understanding the concepts of orbifolds and gauge fields and is seeking additional resources. A recommendation is made to check Chris Pope's lecture notes and the book by Freedman and van Proeyen for more in-depth explanations.
idmena
Hello all

I hope you can help me with this query. I would like to find an introductory text in extra dimensions. I am taking a course in BSM and I have been referred to: C. Csaki, TASI lectures on extra dimensions and branes, hep-ph/0404096, but I was hoping to find something more introductory.
The material I'm hoping to find (what was covered in the lectures) is:
  • KK-reduction (scalar field)
  • Compactification on an interval (orbifold S1/Z2)
  • Interactions (briefly. How does the phi fourth and phi cube couplings look like in 4D)
  • Gauge fields (how you can get a scalar from a gauge field)
  • Fermions in 5D (how to get a chiral theory in 4D).
  • Large extra dimensions
I specially have trouble assimilating the orbifold concept and the gauge fields parts. Do you know any text I can use to backup my notes?

Thank you for your attention.
Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of the information on KK-reduction can be gathered from Chris Pope's lecture notes. http://people.physics.tamu.edu/pope/ihplec.pdf

He explicitly performs a dimensional reduction from D=11 sugra to D=10 over a circle.
Next he also looks at reductions on an n-torus which shows the cascading effect of extra fields showing up.

He doesn't treat orbifolds, interactions (which is quite disconnected in this list as they are toy-models in regular QFT).
Same for fermions in 5D and large extra dimensions.

For a lot of the latter material I'm unaware of detailed, pedagogical resources.
Fermions in 5D should be doable by yourself, I enjoyed the approach in the book by Freedman and van Proeyen which really builds up towards sugra.
In chapter 5 (maybe 6) they look at Rarita-Schwinger fields in great detail before looking at dimensional reduction of all ingredients introduced before.

JorisL said:
A lot of the information on KK-reduction can be gathered from Chris Pope's lecture notes. http://people.physics.tamu.edu/pope/ihplec.pdf

He explicitly performs a dimensional reduction from D=11 sugra to D=10 over a circle.
Next he also looks at reductions on an n-torus which shows the cascading effect of extra fields showing up.

He doesn't treat orbifolds, interactions (which is quite disconnected in this list as they are toy-models in regular QFT).
Same for fermions in 5D and large extra dimensions.

For a lot of the latter material I'm unaware of detailed, pedagogical resources.
Fermions in 5D should be doable by yourself, I enjoyed the approach in the book by Freedman and van Proeyen which really builds up towards sugra.
In chapter 5 (maybe 6) they look at Rarita-Schwinger fields in great detail before looking at dimensional reduction of all ingredients introduced before.

Thank you, I will take a look at it!

1. What are extra dimensions?

Extra dimensions refer to theoretical dimensions beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we experience in our everyday lives. These dimensions are proposed by certain theories, such as string theory, to exist in addition to the three dimensions we are familiar with.

2. How many extra dimensions are there?

The number of extra dimensions proposed by different theories varies. For example, string theory suggests 10 dimensions, while some versions of M-theory suggest 11 dimensions. However, these dimensions are considered to be compactified or hidden from our everyday perception.

3. Can we observe or interact with extra dimensions?

As of now, there is no direct evidence or experimental proof of the existence of extra dimensions. However, some theories suggest that these dimensions may be observed through high-energy particle collisions or through gravitational effects.

4. How do extra dimensions affect our understanding of the universe?

The existence of extra dimensions can help explain certain phenomena, such as the unification of gravity with the other fundamental forces, as well as the nature of dark matter and dark energy. It also provides a new perspective on the structure and evolution of the universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying extra dimensions?

While the study of extra dimensions is still in its early stages, it has the potential to lead to advancements in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and even technology. For example, some theories suggest that extra dimensions may allow for the creation of new materials with unique properties.