What are some long-term dormant conflicts in history?

• Thread starter El Hombre Invisible
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary, a bit of light relief is provided in the form of a story about a town that has been at war with Russia for 113 years.
El Hombre Invisible
A bit of light relief...

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/berwick/berwickupontweed/

"When Queen Victoria signed the declaration of war on Russia in 1853, she did so in the name of "Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, Ireland, Berwick-upon-Tweed and the British Dominions beyond the sea." But Berwick was not mentioned in the Treaty of Paris that concluded the Crimean War in 1856, leaving the town technically still at war with Russia.

A peace treaty was only finally signed by a Russian diplomat and the then Mayor of Berwick in 1966. As the mayor said at the time: "You can tell the Russian people that they can now sleep peacefully in their beds". "

That makes Berwick and Russia at war for 113 years. Anyone know of any other long-term, long dormant spats?

Physics news on Phys.org
El Hombre Invisible said:
Anyone know of any other long-term, long dormant spats?
Not me, but that's a funny story. :smile: (Don't want you to feel invisible.)

You care! :cry: You really care! :cry: :cry:

I care too! That was funny.

Evo said:
I care too! That was funny.
[sniff] To be cared for by such lovely people... But you've opened the floodgate of years of repressed emoticons now: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited:
Haha, very funny!

The only other things like this I can think of are the WW2 Japanese soldiers that spent years hiding in jungles, unaware the war was over. Here is one instance of this:
http://english.pravda.ru/main/18/90/363/15545_japanese.html

I'm sure I've heard similar stories about treaties not being signed, but I can't remember any countries, wars or dates.

matthyaouw said:
Haha, very funny!
The only other things like this I can think of are the WW2 Japanese soldiers that spent years hiding in jungles, unaware the war was over. Here is one instance of this:
http://english.pravda.ru/main/18/90/363/15545_japanese.html
I'm sure I've heard similar stories about treaties not being signed, but I can't remember any countries, wars or dates.
Yeah, I remember this. It's happened a couple of times. Can you imagine after sixty years of surviving in the jungle what it would be like to go home to Japan now? You'd probably want to go back to the jungle.

Is there any reason why she signed that way? Why highlight Berwick?

Wikipedia often has an answer

Since Berwick has had the distinction of having changed hands between the English and the Scots so many times in its history, it was traditionally regarded as a special, separate entity, and various proclamations promulgated before 1885 referred to "England, Scotland and the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwick-upon-Tweed

Yes, it was no doubt just in case it changed hands an odd number of times after war was declared. I think people IN Berwick think they are actually a country. A lot of people even now couldn't have told you whether it is in Scotland or England.

I just heard (though don't nessecarily believe) that oficially ww2 didn't end 'til 1990, as the treaty referred to the country of Germany, which at the time had split into East Germany and West Germany, so it wasn't until the country was re-unified that the treaty became valid.
Not been able to find anything to back it up unfortunately, but it amused me none the less.

1. What was "The Hundred Years War"?

The Hundred Years War was a series of conflicts between England and France that lasted from 1337 to 1453. It was primarily a struggle for control over the territories of Gascony and Calais, as well as disputes over the succession to the French throne.

2. How did "The Hundred Years War" impact Europe?

The Hundred Years War had a significant impact on Europe. It led to a rise in nationalism, as well as the development of new military tactics and technology. It also contributed to the decline of feudalism and the emergence of strong monarchies in both England and France.

3. Who were the major players in "The Hundred Years War"?

The main participants in The Hundred Years War were England and France, but other countries such as Scotland, Burgundy, and Brittany also played important roles. Famous historical figures involved in the war include Edward III, Henry V, Joan of Arc, and Charles VII.

4. How did the war progress over the course of 100 years?

The Hundred Years War was not a continuous conflict, but rather a series of intermittent battles and truces. The war can be divided into three main phases: the Edwardian War (1337-1360), the Caroline War (1369-1389), and the Lancastrian War (1415-1453). It ended with a decisive French victory and the expulsion of the English from France.

5. What were the long-term effects of "The Hundred Years War"?

The Hundred Years War had lasting effects on both England and France. In England, it led to a breakdown of feudal society and the growth of a professional army. In France, it solidified the power of the monarchy and contributed to the rise of the nation-state. The war also had significant cultural and economic impacts, such as the spread of the English language in France and the disruption of trade and commerce in both countries.

Back