What Are Some Obscure Facts About Great Britain's History and Culture?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a quiz about the island of Great Britain. The participants discussed various questions related to British history, including the archetypal country gent used to represent England, the patron saints of England, and the last independent Prince of Wales. They also debated the pronunciation of the word "Celt" and shared interesting facts about British monarchs. The conversation ended with the presenter throwing the quiz open for anyone to answer.
Yes Prod, strictly speaking that's right. 'del' is 'of' in Spanish, as is 'de' in French. But when you Anglicize (sorry that's probably the worst example of Americanization : I mean, obviously, 'Anglicise') a French name, you go with what makes sense, or sounds reasonable. I wonder if "Brus" is really a place, rather than just a name.

Now for the converse : Would 'Americanisation' be unacceptable, just as is 'Anglicize' ?

If I'm not making too much sense here, forgive me. It's the blood-ethanol level. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
plover said:
There's no lyrics per se, but the Pict does say something...

Not that it's comprehensible...

So...
Well... okay I didn't say it was a useful reference... :wink:

J' accepte' ! Any reasonable person listening to Floyd would wonder what a Pict is and immediately run over to Google ! :wink:

Damn, I can't believe I missed that !

Of course, I'm just kidding ... no, make that blabbering. :redface:

Gokul43201 said:
9) Would this be the language that was spoken by the Britons around the time of Julius Caesar (early BC), or is this much later ? I think I read something about this (about 10 years ago) in an article that talked about the level of historical accuracy in the Asterix comics. I'm (less now than before) a big fan of Goscinny & Uderzo. :biggrin:

10) Wow ! Never heard of Picts. I've heard of the Celts, Caledonians, Scots, Britons, Saxons, and Angles, but never Picts. Worth a read, you'd say ?

9) Yes, it would of been the language spoken by the britons since when they arrived in ~500 BC. It also may of been the language of the Gauls of North-Western continental Europe as the Britons had close connections with them. For example both the Belgae (led by Marlonitrix) who lent their name to Belgium and the Parisii(led by Humaniotrix) who lent their their name to modern Pari had septs on the island of Great Britain. Howvere only the two insular branches of celtic - Gaelic and Brythonic survived so, no-one knows for sure.

10) 'Pict' is a more common name for the caledonians, a very mysrious group of people who lived in Scotland during ancient times. As so little is known about them (as their culture and language was almost entirely replaced by Galeic culture and language) thre have been many theoies; some think they may of been Galeic/Brythonic/other Celts were as others think they may of been a pre-Indo-European culture.

Thanks jcsd, for the quiz and all the info, and more...

When I read "led by Marlonitrix", I was overcome by grief that I could not recall such a character, especially in Asterix in Belgium. I remember Beefix, and Brawnix, Alcoholix and Melancholix; even the Roman prefect Wolfgangamadeus...but a Marlonitrix ??

So, anyway, after donning my full Four Star General's uniform; dissembling, cleaning, assembling and loading my 045; and putting the gun to my mouth (ready to end the misery and shame and wot not), I read a little further and came upon "Humaninotrix".

Now I live to write... :biggrin: