What are some potential research ideas for a 10-week aerospace project?

In summary: If you want to share an idea with me and we can work on it together that would be great, but right now, I think you should go back to your freshman year and figure out what you want to do with your life.
ricer05
hello, I'm looking at an opportunity this summer to conduct a research project at a university, however due to constraints of the program, i have to design and create my own project to submit, and hope someone decides to sponsor me. the problem is that being a freshman in college, i don't know an overly large amount about a suitable project i could do. so I'm wondering if anyone on here has any suggestions for something i could research over a 10 week period. here are experiments that have been posted for other students to sign up for:

Mechanical engineering:Abstract:The thermal and mechanical loads involved in the grinding process can damage the surface layer of the workpiece. Choosing process parameters that will maximize efficiency while avoiding damage requires good prediction tools, i.e. models of the process. However, while a number of researchers have created models for surface grinding, few models have been developed for the more commonly used process of external cylindrical grinding.
Task:• Based on the existing surface-grinding model, determine what adaptations are needed to model external cylindrical grinding.
• Implement the external cylindrical grinding model in the FEM software Abaqus.
• Validate the results of the model with practical tests.

Electrical engineering: Impedance monitoring reveals information about the biological tissue under test. That way temporary changes as hearbeat and respiration can be monitored, as their mechanical action moves good conduction (blood) or bad conduction (air) matter in the chest-region. This can be monitored in an non-contact mode via magnetic induction.
Task:In this project a multi-channel sensor-array for heart, lung and motion monitoring shall be developed. Existing circuits and modules shall be utilized.

Work package:
Literature work
• Hardware development ((pre-) amplifier, measurement coils, etc.)
• Test and Evaluation on a Dummy
• Optional: Test in an animal trial

so if anyone could help me out with potential research i could do, i would be greatly appreciative. sorry this is so long, i wanted to cover everything in one post.

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry for the double post, but also, the project title for the mechanical is modelling of external cylindrical grinding and the electric project title is Development and Evaluation of a Multi-Channel Sensor-Array for Non-Contact Monitoring

So you're a freshman and want to work on FEM and Multi-Channel Sensor-Arrays? I think you're 4 years too short to work on any of those. If you had experience in any of those topics beforehand I think you'd know what you wanted to do already...

no, I'm saying those are examples of other projects done in other majors, to show about the detail and description i need to have. i have a few ideas involving biological flight or aerodynamics, but I'm not quite sure how i need to detail it.

I would suggest considering the following potential research ideas for a 10-week aerospace project:

1. Design and development of a small-scale rocket or drone for atmospheric exploration: This project could involve researching and implementing different propulsion systems, materials, and control mechanisms to design and build a functional vehicle that can collect data and images from different atmospheric layers.

2. Investigation of the effects of microgravity on plant growth: This project could involve designing and conducting experiments on plant growth in a microgravity environment, such as using a parabolic flight or a simulated microgravity environment. The results could provide insights into potential challenges and solutions for future long-term space missions involving agriculture.

3. Development of a renewable energy system for space missions: This project could involve researching and designing a renewable energy system, such as a solar panel or wind turbine, that can be used in space missions for powering spacecraft or habitats. The project could also include testing the system in a simulated space environment.

4. Study of the effects of radiation on electronic components in space: This project could involve researching the effects of radiation on different electronic components and designing experiments to test their resilience in a simulated space environment. The results could inform the development of more robust and reliable electronic systems for space missions.

5. Analysis of space debris and development of mitigation strategies: This project could involve studying the impact of space debris on spacecraft and developing strategies to mitigate its effects. This could include researching and designing materials or technologies that can protect against debris impacts or developing methods for removing debris from orbit.

6. Investigation of the use of 3D printing in space: This project could involve researching the potential applications of 3D printing technology in space, such as printing spare parts or tools on-demand. The project could also include designing and testing a 3D printer in a simulated space environment.

7. Study of the effects of long-term space travel on the human body: This project could involve researching the physiological and psychological effects of long-term space travel on astronauts and designing experiments to simulate these effects. The results could inform the development of strategies to mitigate these effects for future space missions.

Overall, the key is to choose a project that aligns with your interests and utilizes your skills and resources effectively. I would also suggest consulting with your university's faculty and seeking guidance from experienced researchers in the field to refine and develop your research idea. Good luck!

Related to What are some potential research ideas for a 10-week aerospace project?

What is the goal of an Aerospace research project?

The goal of an Aerospace research project is to explore and develop new technologies and methods for space exploration, as well as improving existing technologies for aeronautics and space travel. This can include designing and testing new aircraft or spacecraft, developing advanced propulsion systems, and studying the effects of space on living organisms.

How is an Aerospace research project funded?

Aerospace research projects are usually funded by a combination of government agencies, private companies, and universities. The government often provides grants or contracts to support research in areas that align with their priorities, while private companies may fund research to develop new products or improve their current technology. Universities also play a crucial role by providing resources and funding for their own research projects.

What are the key challenges in conducting an Aerospace research project?

Some of the key challenges in conducting an Aerospace research project include the high costs involved, the need for advanced technological and engineering expertise, and the complex and unpredictable nature of space. Researchers must also consider ethical and safety implications when conducting experiments on living organisms in space.

How do researchers collaborate on an Aerospace research project?

Aerospace research projects often involve collaboration between multiple organizations and individuals with different areas of expertise. This can include scientists, engineers, technicians, and other professionals from various disciplines. Collaboration is typically facilitated through meetings, conferences, and online platforms.

What are some recent breakthroughs in Aerospace research?

Some recent breakthroughs in Aerospace research include the development of reusable rockets for space travel, the use of 3D printing technology to create spacecraft components, and advancements in artificial intelligence for autonomous spacecraft operations. Other areas of research focus on sustainable and eco-friendly materials for spacecraft construction, as well as the potential for human colonization of other planets.