What are some real life examples of resonance?

• Thread starter getsubaka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonance
In summary, resonance occurs when an object's natural frequency is matched by an external force, causing it to vibrate at a higher amplitude. This can be seen in situations such as the humming of hydro wires in the wind, a child swinging on a swing, windows rattling from a passing truck, and buildings swaying during an earthquake. While all of these situations can be a result of resonance, it is not necessary for the external force to be at the exact resonant frequency of the object.
getsubaka

Homework Statement

Which of the following situations is a result of resonance?
a. Hydro wires "hum" as a mild breeze blows over them.
b.A child pushes herself on a swing by moving her legs back and forth appropriately.
c.Windows in your house rattle as a large truck drives by.
d. Building begin to sway when an earthquake occurs.
e. all of the above.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I choose B because I thought the resonance happens when the frequency of the wave is the same as the frequency of the object, and the hydro wires "hum" is the sound caused by vibration. I don't think that the frequency of an earthquake could be equal to the natural frequency of a building.
But the answer my teacher told me is E, it was a quiz so I didn't have time to ask him why so I came here.

Physics news on Phys.org
The humming and swaying only occur if resonance is hit, otherwise you just have "noisy" vibration. It's not that the wind or the earthquake is "at the resonant frequency" of the object, it's that it sets up a motion that is harmonic in the object. I suspect that if the wind and the earthquake WERE at the harmonic frequency, MUCH more radical swings would occur. The building for example would like collapse very quickly instead of just swaying.

The window rattling feels much less intuitive to me, but I suppose it must be the same phenomenon that I'm describing above.

For a) see http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_shedding.
Did you not think c) would be from resonance?
d) is a bit tricky. The clue is in the word 'sway', which implies a more or less regular oscillation. I.e the swaying is down to the natural frequency of the building, and could result from a single sudden displacement.

Thanks for helping.

I used to live under the flight approach to the city's airport. Sometimes when a jet flew over its engine sounds would coincide with the natural resonance of my large-glass-paned timber door and the sound would be hugely magnified as the door rattled in synchrony.

When things are bumped, hit, struck, or jarred, if they are able to vibrate they will vibrate at their resonant frequency.

If this were a public exam the examiners may be taken to task over that word "is" in the question statement, which I think carries an implication that only one situation satisfies the criterion.

1. What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object is subjected to a periodic force at the same frequency as its natural frequency, causing it to vibrate at a larger amplitude.

2. How does resonance work?

Resonance works by amplifying the vibrations of an object when it is subjected to a periodic force at the same frequency as its natural frequency. This is due to the transfer of energy from the driving force to the object.

3. What are some examples of resonance?

Some common examples of resonance include a child swinging on a swing, a singer breaking a glass with their voice, and a tuning fork vibrating when struck.

4. How is resonance used in technology?

Resonance is used in technology to amplify vibrations and signals. It is commonly used in musical instruments, radio and television receivers, and medical equipment such as MRI machines.

5. What are the potential dangers of resonance?

Resonance can be dangerous if it causes excessive vibrations in a structure, leading to structural failure. It can also cause damage to sensitive equipment or disrupt electronic signals if not properly managed.