What are some researchable topics in general relativity for a PhD?

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a PhD in the field of general relativity and needs help with choosing a research topic and writing and publishing journal articles. They have an M.Sc degree in Physics and have previously done a thesis on spacetime singularities. The expert recommends studying textbooks on general relativity and provides links to potential research topics and journals.
samson
Hello everyone, I have recently developed interest in what I reckoned the most difficult field of Physics- general relativity, I am also desiring to do a PhD in the field. But first I need to write journal articles in this field. I am lost as to what topic to write on, how to write and publish. Your help will be highly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
samson said:
But first I need to write journal articles in this field.

Do you have a physics degree and have you done some sort of research on which to write about?

Likes samson
samson said:
But first I need to write journal articles in this field.

No you don't. First you learn about a field, and second you write journal articles.

Likes samson
samson said:
Hello everyone, I have recently developed interest in what I reckoned the most difficult field of Physics- general relativity, I am also desiring to do a PhD in the field. But first I need to write journal articles in this field. I am lost as to what topic to write on, how to write and publish. Your help will be highly appreciated

As Vanadium 50 said, you do not need to write journal articles first. You should first study several good textbooks in general relativity.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0132911965/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805386629/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805387323/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0226870332/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes samson
Drakkith said:
Do you have a physics degree and have you done some sort of research on which to write about?

Thank you very much for your answer. Merely getting an answer is satisfying. Yes I have an M.Sc degree in Physics. I did a thesis where I reviewed spacetimes singularities I calculated curvature scalar a for a few spacetime and found the conditions for singularity. The fact is that I have studied many books in relativity but I need researchable topics and a few suggestions on how to start and I will be fine. Thanks

atyy said:

Drakkith said:

Thank you very much for your answer. Merely getting an answer is satisfying. Yes I have an M.Sc degree in Physics. I did a thesis where I reviewed spacetimes singularities I calculated curvature scalar a for a few spacetime and found the conditions for singularity. The fact is that I have studied many books in relativity but I need researchable topics and a few suggestions on how to start and I will be fine. Thanks

samson said:

I am not a researcher in physics (I am a biologist), but you can look for interesting topics at:
https://link.springer.com/journal/volumesAndIssues/41114

Likes samson

1. How do I find a mentor for GR?

Finding a mentor for GR can be challenging, but there are a few ways to start your search. You can ask your professors or colleagues if they know of any experienced scientists in the field of GR who may be willing to mentor you. You can also attend conferences or networking events where you can meet potential mentors in person. Another option is to reach out to professional organizations or societies related to GR and inquire about mentorship programs.

2. What qualities should I look for in a mentor for GR?

When searching for a mentor for GR, it's important to find someone who has a strong background and experience in the field. Look for someone who has published research in GR and has a good reputation among their peers. It's also important to find someone who is willing to invest time and effort into mentoring you and has good communication skills.

3. How often should I meet with my mentor?

The frequency of meetings with your mentor will depend on your individual needs and schedules. Some mentors and mentees may meet weekly, while others may meet once a month. It's important to establish a schedule that works for both you and your mentor and to communicate regularly to make the most out of your mentorship.

4. What should I expect from a mentorship for GR?

A mentorship for GR can vary depending on the mentor and mentee's goals and expectations. Generally, a mentor can provide guidance and advice on your research, help you develop your skills and knowledge in GR, and offer career advice. They may also introduce you to their network and provide opportunities for collaboration.

5. How can I make the most out of my mentorship for GR?

The key to making the most out of your mentorship for GR is to have clear goals and objectives in mind. Communicate your expectations and needs with your mentor and be open to their suggestions and feedback. Take advantage of any opportunities your mentor provides and actively engage in discussions and activities. Finally, be grateful and show your appreciation for your mentor's time and guidance.