What are some simple and free resources for a C++ compiler?

In summary, the speaker is looking to refresh their knowledge of C++ and is seeking resources for programming and debugging. They mention using a compiler that came with their textbook before, but are now on their own and unsure if a compiler is necessary. They are looking for simple and free resources to get back into programming and any help is appreciated. Another speaker suggests using Microsoft Visual C++ Express, which is available for free on Windows. The first speaker expresses gratitude and states that this solution worked well for them.
Bohrok
It's been years since I last programmed in C++ and I want to brush up on it over the next couple weeks. Problem is I have no idea what's out there that I could use for programming/debugging C++ programs; the compiler I used before came on a CD with the textbook, but now I'm completely on my own (I don't even remember if a compiler is what I need to write C++ programs). I just need direction to some simple and free (very important!) resource to get back into programming again.
Any help will be appreciated :smile:

Technology news on Phys.org
If you have windows, you can download and use microsoft visual C++ express for free.

Thanks, that worked perfectly for me :smile:

1. What is a C++ compiler?

A C++ compiler is a computer program that translates source code written in the C++ programming language into machine code that can be executed by a computer. It takes the code written by a programmer and turns it into instructions that the computer can understand and execute.

2. Why do I need a C++ compiler?

You need a C++ compiler in order to turn your source code into an executable program. Without a compiler, your code is simply text and cannot be run by a computer. A C++ compiler is essential for creating and running C++ programs.

3. Where can I find a C++ compiler?

There are several options for finding a C++ compiler. Many integrated development environments (IDEs) come with a built-in C++ compiler, such as Visual Studio, Code::Blocks, or Eclipse. Alternatively, you can download a standalone compiler such as GCC or Clang. These can usually be found on the official websites for the respective compilers.

4. Is there a difference between free and paid C++ compilers?

Yes, there can be differences between free and paid C++ compilers. Free compilers, such as GCC, are open-source and can be used without any cost. Paid compilers, such as Visual C++, may offer additional features and support that may be beneficial for larger projects or professional use. However, both free and paid compilers can produce high-quality executable programs.

5. How do I use a C++ compiler?

Using a C++ compiler typically involves writing your code in a text editor, saving it with a .cpp file extension, and then running the compiler on that file. The compiler will generate an executable file that can be run on your computer. The specific steps may vary depending on which compiler and IDE you are using, so it's important to consult the documentation for your specific setup.