What are some unique propulsion systems for a pinewood derby car project?

In summary, the author has finished 2 cars and is working on a third. The first car was a Arduino script that used some sensors, and the second car used a gravity based propulsion system. The goal of the project is to get the car to travel between 6-8 feet. The car does not need to hold anything or have any weight on it, but it needs to be consistent. The author is looking into using model rocket engines, but hasn't decided if it is usable for the project.
ofinucan7
Homework Statement
-
Relevant Equations
-
Hello all,

I am currently working on a project where I have to make a total of 3 pinewood derby esque cars. The rules of the project are pretty strict. First, the car must remain on the ground at all times. Second, the car must be self propelled. Third, the car must be able to go in a straight line. Fourth, the vehicle must fit in a 1'x2'x2' box. Fifth and finally, the vehicle must cost no more than $30. With all the restrictions out of the way, here is my project so far.

I have finished 2 of the 3 cars. For the first car, I wrote an arduino script that uses some sensors and for the second car, I used a gravity based propulsion system.

For the scoring of the project, I get point based on if the car worked or not and how unique the propulsion system is. I have put a decent amount of time into finding a third propulsion system, but I am not finding anything that I think will score very well. Any sort of idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, how about you tell us what you HAVE found so people won't make those suggestions?

Likes Bystander
Welcome to the PF.

ofinucan7 said:
The rules of the project are pretty strict. First, the car must remain on the ground at all times. Second, the car must be self propelled. Third, the car must be able to go in a straight line. Fourth, the vehicle must fit in a 1'x2'x2' box. Fifth and finally, the vehicle must cost no more than $30.
There must be more goals and rules than that. Fastest car from point A to point B? Carry the most weight? Pull the heaviest load? These rules seem underconstrained to me, and what is the goal? How is the competition judged?

I'm inclined to use model rocket engines on this, depending on the rules. It's hard to beat their energy density... :warning:

Mentioning what I have found would of been smart to being with. Obviously I have found your generic options such as the mouse trap and rubber band powered cars. I have also looked into something powered by a fan or some sort of propeller. I've experimented with the idea of using magnets, but I can't find a solid way to make it self propelled. Probably the most out there thing that I have found is a car powered by salt water. With my restraints of this project, a decent bit of what I have researched isn't applicable.

I also should of mentioned what the end goal was, my bad... Pretty much, I have to get the car to travel somewhere between 6-8 feet. The car doesn't need to hold anything or have any weight on it, but the only two stipulations are that I need to be able to pick the car up after it stops moving and that it needs to be consistent. That is that it needs to go that 6-8 feet every time I start it. The car doesn't need to go 100 mph, but at the same time, it needs to be able to move at a decent pace. As much as I would love to use a model rocket car, I don't know if it would be usable for my project.

1. What materials are needed to build a Pinewood derby car?

The materials needed for a Pinewood derby car project include a block of wood, sandpaper, a coping saw, weights, axles, wheels, paint, and decals. Some kits may also come with additional materials such as graphite or lubricant.

2. What is the best way to shape a Pinewood derby car?

The best way to shape a Pinewood derby car is to use sandpaper to smooth the edges and create the desired shape. Use a pencil to sketch out the design on the block of wood before cutting with a coping saw.

3. How can I make my Pinewood derby car go faster?

To make your Pinewood derby car go faster, make sure to reduce friction by sanding and polishing the axles and wheels. You can also strategically place weights on the car to increase its speed. Using graphite or lubricant on the axles can also help reduce friction and increase speed.

4. Are there any rules or regulations for Pinewood derby car races?

Yes, most Pinewood derby car races have specific rules and regulations that must be followed. These may include size and weight restrictions, as well as restrictions on the materials and tools that can be used. It is important to check with the race organizers for the specific rules before building your car.

5. Can I test my Pinewood derby car before the race?

Yes, it is important to test your Pinewood derby car before the race to make sure it is performing at its best. You can do this by setting up a track at home or using a test track at the race location. Make any necessary adjustments to ensure your car is ready for the race.