What are the best and worst smells?

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
In summary: I love the smell of horse manure!Are there some other farts you do enjoy? Maybe we can then hang out together some day...I love the smell of horse manure!
Sophia
What are your favourite smells and which ones you can't stand?

My favourite ones in random order

Forest after rain
Smell of changing seasons. When you feel spring smell at the end of the winter, autumn smell at the end of the summer, but that can be write nostalgic as well. And winter smell at the end of autumn signaling start of coziness and Christmas

Smell of books, both new and old
Coffee
Flowers, but not too sweet
Baking cakes
Tea shops where many exotic teas are prepared
Citrus fruit
Fresh strawberries and raspberries from our garden

List of bad smells :
Body odors
Cigarettes
Dirty train and bus stations
Big cities
Heavy air in a room where window has not been opened for ages

Some people love lavender or vanilla but for me they are not very pleasant. And I don't like vanilla ice-cream.

Last edited:
Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
good smell:
smell of clean skin
light citrus smell
smell of certain new clothes
fading light perfume when someone walk past
smell of cold air (like the winter air)

bad smell:
moist and sour smell in an enclosed area
Body odors
cigarrette

I dislike almost all perfumes. I like the light scents of wild flowers (those like rose's certainly aren't in my list even though its artificial fragrance made for use in shampoos or body soap is the first priority for me to make my choice). I also like the earthy scent of dry soil after it gets soaked pretty much with some water from a downpour.
And as always I like code smell. :smile:

Good: The scent of an approaching thunderstorm. The low pressure sucks the air out of the soil, so it smells like soil. There is an elegant French term that I forget.

Bad: Neem tree oil. It smells like the diarrhea of a very sick individual.

Good smells, Castrol R motor oil, WD 40 general purpose lubricant, freshly cut grass, bread baking.
Bad smells, pig manure being spread on the land, dog farts.

Likes 1oldman2
Good smells:
  • Chocolate
  • Coconut
  • Candies
  • Lollipop or candy perfumes
Bad Smells:
  • Humans
  • Cows
  • Dogs that haven't taken a bath
  • Dogs' mouth
I'll think of something else.

One smell I can't stand is the roofing tar truck.
Next, is some decaying vegetables, especially potatoes.
And the stinky elevator that smells like rotten onions for some reason.
Caged reptile smell in a pet shop.
Flower shop smell does get me too excited either.

Good smell
Jiffy marker and inks, windless frosty or foggy mornings, hay, bacon and eggs,

:)
Smell of spring rain.
Lit fireplace, burning leaves on a cool fall day
Vanilla

:(
Dry, preserved greenery in craft shops (smells like dust-personified)

Sophia said:
Smell of books, both new and old
Coffee
Flowers, but not too sweet
Baking cakes
Tea shops where many exotic teas are prepared
Citrus fruit
Fresh strawberries and raspberries from our garden

List of bad smells :
Body odors
Cigarettes
Dirty train and bus stations
Big cities
Heavy air in a room where window has not been opened for ages

That list looks perfectly complete, with the exception of I would add "Pack rats" to the list of bad smells. I wouldn't be surprised if Hell smells like Pack rats.

1oldman2 said:
That list looks perfectly complete, with the exception of I would add "Pack rats" to the list of bad smells. I wouldn't be surprised if Hell smells like Pack rats.
I've never seen a pack rat.

Sophia said:
I've never seen a pack rat.
I wish I could say that ?:). They have many bad habits(A quick search will fill you in)but the smell of the them is most likely the worst part, not unlike an old billy goat but more intense.

1oldman2 said:
I wish I could say that ?:). They have many bad habits(A quick search will fill you in)but the smell of the them is most likely the worst part, not unlike an old billy goat but more intense.

that must be disgusting! ?:) Now I'm glad they don't live here :)

Likes 1oldman2
The ultimate good smell is a wad of £50 notes, the ultimate bad smell is rotting chicken poo.:woot:

Likes Sophia and 1oldman2
wolram said:
The ultimate good smell is a wad of £50 notes, the ultimate bad smell is rotting chicken poo.:woot:
It is always good to set boundaries, Those will do. :wink:

Likes collinsmark
Best - Springtime Thaw in the forest.
Worst - Dentist Office.

Likes Sophia
We played an odd game at the university library. One person sits with their eyes closed, and another finds old crummy textbooks. The person with their eyes closed has to guess what year the textbook written based on how it smells. I swear, some of those old texts literally smell like excrement!

Fresh coffee or tea in the morning has an amazing smell, on the other hand.

Likes Sophia
good smell: small amounts of Indol
bad smell: large amounts of Indol.

wolram said:
...dog farts.

Are there some other farts you do enjoy? Maybe we can then hang out together some day :).

Mondayman said:
We played an odd game at the university library. One person sits with their eyes closed, and another finds old crummy textbooks. The person with their eyes closed has to guess what year the textbook written based on how it smells. I swear, some of those old texts literally smell like excrement!
And what years matches up with that :) ? Weird like I have, is not the smell, but to see how the color of milk changes, an the final color of the mix, when you pour freshly-made coffee on it

Likes Sophia
I'm crazy about the smell of spring, you know, when snow is melting, and the air is worm and .. don't know how to explain, smells like spring :) And I can't stand the smell of blood ?:)

Likes Sophia and Silicon Waffle

1. What makes a smell "good" or "bad"?

There are several factors that can contribute to a smell being perceived as "good" or "bad." These include individual preferences, cultural norms, and the specific chemicals and compounds present in the smell. Some people may enjoy the scent of a particular flower, while others may find it unpleasant. Similarly, certain smells may be considered desirable in one culture, but offensive in another. Additionally, the chemical composition of a smell can play a role in its perceived quality. For example, substances like sulfur and ammonia are often associated with unpleasant smells, while essential oils and floral compounds are often considered pleasant.

2. What causes different people to have different reactions to smells?

Individuals may have different reactions to smells due to a variety of factors. These can include genetic differences in olfactory receptors, past experiences and associations with certain smells, and cultural or societal influences. For example, someone who grew up in a household where a certain food was frequently cooked may associate that smell with positive memories, while someone who had a negative experience with that food may find the smell unpleasant.

3. What are some of the best and worst smells according to science?

The perception of "good" and "bad" smells can vary greatly among individuals and cultures. However, there are some smells that are generally considered pleasant or unpleasant based on scientific research. For example, the smell of fresh-cut grass is often found to be pleasant due to the presence of compounds called green leaf volatiles. On the other hand, the smell of rotting eggs is often disliked due to the presence of sulfur compounds. Additionally, some smells, such as those associated with burning or decay, can trigger a biological response in humans to signal danger or potential harm.

4. Can smells have a physiological effect on the body?

Yes, smells can have a physiological effect on the body. The olfactory system, which is responsible for our sense of smell, is closely linked to the limbic system, which controls emotions and memory. This means that certain smells can trigger emotional responses and memories. Smells can also have a direct impact on physiological functions, such as triggering the release of hormones and neurotransmitters that affect mood and behavior. Furthermore, certain smells, such as lavender and peppermint, have been found to have a calming effect on the body.

5. Is there a way to objectively measure the best and worst smells?

While there are some general guidelines for what may be considered pleasant or unpleasant smells, there is no objective way to measure the "best" and "worst" smells. Smell is a highly individual and subjective experience, and what one person may find pleasant, another may find unpleasant. Additionally, cultural and societal influences can also play a role in determining what is considered a good or bad smell. Therefore, it is not possible to create a definitive list of the best and worst smells based on objective measures.

Back