What are the Best Mask Options for Protection Against New Variants?

• Thread starter Jarvis323
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that guidance to use cloth masks might be dated by now. While CDC still recommends leaving N95s for medical staff, there are a bunch of options by now for masks which are not necessarily medical grade yet offer much better protection than cloth masks or surgical masks. For example, there are KN95s (Chinese masks), and N94s (Korean masks) in large supply. I'm afraid cloth masks or surgical masks are not going to be effective enough with the highly infectious new variants. And things can change any moment with new variants emerging.
Jarvis323
It seems that guidance to use cloth masks might be dated by now. While CDC still recommends leaving N95s for medical staff, there are a bunch of options by now for masks which are not necessarily medical grade yet offer much better protection than cloth masks or surgical masks. For example, there are KN95s (Chinese masks), and N94s (Korean masks) in large supply. I'm afraid cloth masks or surgical masks are not going to be effective enough with the highly infectious new variants. And things can change any moment with new variants emerging.

My preference is the Korean masks. I've bought several versions based on the recommendations and tests done by this youtuber.

I've tried the LG Airwasher and the BOTN masks, both of which seem to be high quality masks made by reputable companies. Compared to some other Korean models, they have an adjustable ear loop to tighten the fit. The LG and BOTN masks are basically the same as far as I can tell, but BOTN masks are available in more sizes, including adult small, medium, large, and kids size, and they also are marketed as "prevention of epidemic masks", and are KFDA approved and FDA registered. LG masks are marketed as non-medical masks.

For how good the filter efficiency is, they are quite breathable. I assume this is because it relies on an electrostatic filter layer?

1628146582559.png

1628147249944.png

There is still concern that these style masks might not form a good enough seal around the face to provide the full > 94% filter efficiency in practice if the fit is not good (the adjustable ear loop and multiple sizes might help with this though), but it's definitely better than cloth.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32845196/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Klystron and mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
I had been wearing 3 layer cotton masks for most of the pandemic, or a cotton mask with a surgical one over it.
Last spring I tried for the first time an FFP2 and for the first time, my sunglasses misted up.

For now I'm sticking to my cotton+surgical combination, but have a few FFP2s here in case of situations where they are obligatory.

I have jaw issues and most masks literally become painful after 30 minutes or so. Cotton masks that tie behind my head are by far the most comfortable for me to wear all-day; I use my glasses to pinch the fabric and create a reasonable 'seal' around my nose, although the nose seal is still probably the weakest aspect. When I feel like I need something more, I use a disposal mask underneath it with the metal part bent around my nose - held on by the ear-loops when tolerable but sometimes just held on by the cotton mask on top. I have been getting tested at work twice a week for many months and have not had a positive test yet, so coupled with the standard hand-washing, avoiding crowds and being good about social distancing it has seemed to work so far.

The only times I have used an N95 (left-over from when I insulated my attic years ago) was when I had to fly for a family emergency pre-vaccine. My jaw hurt for a couple of days after but it was much better than covid!

jason

1. What are the new variants of COVID-19 and how do they differ from the original virus?

The new variants of COVID-19, also known as "variants of concern," are mutations of the original SARS-CoV-2 virus. These variants have changes in their genetic code, or RNA, which can affect how easily they spread and the severity of illness they cause. Some of the most well-known variants include the Delta variant, the Alpha variant, and the Beta variant.

2. Are cloth masks still effective against the new variants?

Yes, cloth masks can still provide some level of protection against the new variants. However, they may not be as effective as medical-grade masks such as N95 or KN95 masks. It is important to ensure that the cloth mask fits snugly over the nose and mouth, and has at least two layers of fabric.

3. Are there any specific mask options that are recommended for protection against the new variants?

Yes, medical-grade masks such as N95 or KN95 masks are recommended for protection against the new variants. These masks have a higher level of filtration and provide better protection against smaller particles. It is important to note that these masks should be reserved for healthcare workers and those who are at high risk of exposure.

4. Do I still need to wear a mask if I am fully vaccinated?

Yes, even if you are fully vaccinated, it is still recommended to wear a mask in public settings, especially in areas with high transmission rates or in crowded spaces. This is because the vaccines are not 100% effective and there is still a risk of contracting and spreading the virus.

5. How can I ensure proper mask usage for protection against the new variants?

To ensure proper mask usage, it is important to follow the guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This includes wearing the mask over your nose and mouth, avoiding touching the mask while wearing it, and washing your hands before and after handling the mask. It is also important to regularly wash cloth masks or dispose of medical-grade masks after each use.

Back