What are the best resources for studying physics beyond the standard model?

In summary, the conversation was about recommendations for books, surveys, or lecture notes that cover physics beyond the standard model. The ideal book would cover all main theories such as GUTs, supersymmetry, string theory, and quantum gravity, and teach the essential points of each theory, as well as their advantages, disadvantages, and open problems. One book that was suggested was Michael Dine's "Supersymmetry and String Theory - Beyond the SM", which covers the SM, GUTs, supersymmetry, and string theory.
FourEyedRaven
Hi.

I'm looking for recommendations of books, surveys, or lecture notes, that deal with physics beyond the standard model all in one place.

The starting point is someone who already knows QFT and the SM at the level of Schwartz's book on QFT and the SM.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1107034736/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The ideal book would cover all the main venues tried so far (GUTs, supersymmetry, string theory, quantum gravity, etc.), teaching the essential points of each theory, as well as their advantages, disadvantages, and open problems.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I happened to have this book lying around, Michael Dine's "Supersymmetry and String Theory - Beyond the SM". Unfortunately I have so far not actually worked with the book, but the table of contents promises to cover most of what you asked for (Part 1: SM and GUTs; Part 2: Susy; Part 3: String Theory). Unfortunately, I couldn't find it online, at least not on a website I felt comfortable sharing here.

Sorry for the sparse information...

Likes FourEyedRaven

1. What is the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. It includes three of the four known forces (electromagnetic, strong, and weak) and explains how particles interact with each other.

2. What are the limitations of the Standard Model?

The Standard Model cannot explain gravity, dark matter, or dark energy. It also does not account for the unequal amounts of matter and antimatter in the universe. Additionally, it does not provide a complete understanding of the hierarchy of particle masses.

3. What is the purpose of the Beyond the Standard Model theory?

The Beyond the Standard Model theory seeks to address the limitations of the Standard Model and provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. It aims to explain phenomena that the Standard Model cannot account for.

4. What are some proposed theories that go beyond the Standard Model?

Some proposed theories include supersymmetry, which suggests that each particle has a "superpartner" with a different spin, and string theory, which suggests that particles are made up of tiny strings vibrating at different frequencies.

5. How can we test the validity of Beyond the Standard Model theories?

Scientists can test Beyond the Standard Model theories by conducting experiments at high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. They can also look for evidence of new particles or interactions that are predicted by these theories.