What are the best undergraduate math books?

In summary, there are some core books that cover the whole undergraduate math program. You can find out a lot by searching on 'college math major curriculum' e.g. this from Yale.
fxdung
I intend to self-learn undergraduate math program.What are the books for undergraduate math?Please show me all some books that cover the whole program!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show me some core books cover core program.
Is it correct books:
Mathematical Anlysis: Caculus by Apostle, Basic Analysis by Peterson.Algebra: by Dummit. Geometry: differential geometry by Spivak.And what are other subjects and other books?

Last edited:
Those are all well-known as first-rate textbooks. I won't try to make such a list as you seem to be seeking. You appear to be doing fine at that yourself. :smile:

Likes Demystifier and Vanadium 50
Algebra: Artin

I did not like Dummit. It is devoid of character. Easer than Artin, but Artin offers far greater insights.

Analysis: Both volumes by Zorich ( if these are too difficult, then look at Abbot: Understanding Analysis, then read Zorich again)

Vector Calculus: Hubbard and Hubbard : Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms.

Linear Algebra: Axler: Linear Algebra Done Right

Topology: Munkres. I liked Simmons: Topology and Modern Analysis, but Munkres covers more.

The books by Hubbard can also be used as multivariable analysis book (intro). But a more advanced book is needed at some point. Hubbard and Axler complement each other well. So does Artin, since it introduces determinants in chapter 1 and Axler at the end of the book.

This covers the minimum topics a math major should know (or what I believe). Then read anything that you are interested in. Ie., graph theory, number theory, geometry, etc...

Likes archaic
I found Serge Lang books to be okay for an introduction to "proper" mathematics. Specifically, his Basic Mathematics, calculus, and linear algebra texts. I had them, and could not find a buyer, and was forced to donate them to Value Village. I immediately regretted it and went to buy them back, but it was too late ☹

Mondayman said:
I found Serge Lang books to be okay for an introduction to "proper" mathematics. Specifically, his Basic Mathematics, calculus, and linear algebra texts. I had them, and could not find a buyer, and was forced to donate them to Value Village. I immediately regretted it and went to buy them back, but it was too late ☹
I really like his books. My first intro linear algebra was proof based, and the textbook we used was Strang. I found it too verbose. So I ordered Serge Lang: Introduction to Linear Algebra, and finally understood what linear independence and span was. I read parts of his undergraduate analysis ( was recommended by a member here) to understand multivariable analysis. My course was based on Spivak Calculus Of Manifolds. After the implicit function theorem, I could no longer follow. But Lang made things click for me.

Likes vanhees71
I like to know what about Algebra by MacLane?Is it sutable for undergraduate?

fxdung said:
I like to know what about Algebra by MacLane?Is it sutable for undergraduate?
I have never looked at it. but I found Artin enjoyable.

1. What are the best undergraduate math books for beginners?

Some of the best undergraduate math books for beginners include "Introduction to Mathematical Thinking" by Keith Devlin, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, and "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler.

2. What are the best undergraduate math books for advanced students?

For advanced students, some of the best undergraduate math books include "Real Analysis" by Royden and Fitzpatrick, "Abstract Algebra" by Dummit and Foote, and "Topology" by James Munkres.

3. What are the best undergraduate math books for self-study?

Some of the best undergraduate math books for self-study include "The Art of Problem Solving" by Richard Rusczyk, "How to Prove It" by Daniel Velleman, and "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth Rosen.

4. Are there any online resources for undergraduate math books?

Yes, there are several online resources for undergraduate math books such as OpenStax, which offers free online textbooks for various math courses, and MIT OpenCourseWare, which provides lecture notes and assignments for undergraduate math courses.

5. What factors should I consider when choosing an undergraduate math book?

When choosing an undergraduate math book, it is important to consider the level of difficulty, the author's writing style, the book's organization and layout, and the availability of practice problems and solutions. It is also helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from professors or other students.