What are the challenges in selecting a conductive coating for HF applications?

In summary, the individual's aluminum housing had a brownish/redish film on it after returning from the plater, and they are not sure what the problem may be.
dingpud
First off, maybe this should have gone in the Material Engineering thread, but since it is so common in the EE field...well, I justified it.

I have an aluminum housing which gets plated with Ag over Ni. Once received, the housing goes through the following process:
Cleaning (alcohol solution)
220 degree temp cycle for 2 hours.
Send out for RF pins to be installed and leak tested. (Consists of heating, soldering, cleaning, leak testing with Helium)

After the parts return from leak test, they have a brownish/redish film on the housing. Any suggestions as to what this might be? Bad plating? Bad raw material? Dirty cleaning solution?

Any help would be great...thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you followed the process through each step? This is what I would do.

Yeah, as far as I could.

I spoke with someone with some plating experience, and he said that it is sort of common when silver oxidizes slightly to get a brownish color. The advantage, apparently, to using silver is that when it does oxidize it does not effect the conductivity of the material.

I'm just not sure why it wasn't noticed when it came back from the plater...

If someone knows otherwise, please let me know.

Thanks,

One potential problem is if a "dirty" cleaning solution is used to clean the parts. Kind of sounds like a double negative huh? Anyways, we cleaned the parts with a dirty solution and they put the housing on a hot plate, and sure enough it left some discoloration.

Not sure if this is in fact the problem, but found it an interesting data point.

silver does tarnish easily. iirc, sulphur compounds make it worse. there's not a whole lot you can do about it unless you want to coat it to keep it shiny.

Hello everybody!

For HF applications, one needs a conductive coating which has no magnetic permeability, as this would radically worsen skin effect and associated losses. This is why nickel can't be used bare, and silver is acceptable though is has drawbacks.

In fact, few materials are good here. Solderability precludes aluminium and chromium, corrosion precludes many metals, and so on. Nickel is a good choice only in LF. For HF, you have silver (with limited corrosion resistance as you've observed), gold (excellent choice, but accelerated underlying aluminium corrosion if scratched) or palladium (used for SMD capacitors, not cheaper than gold). As a common drawback, they dissolve in liquid tin solder.

1. What is silver over nickel plating?

Silver over nickel plating is a process of electroplating where a layer of silver is deposited on top of a layer of nickel on a metal surface. This creates a protective and decorative layer that offers excellent corrosion resistance and a bright, shiny appearance.

2. What are the benefits of silver over nickel plating?

The main benefits of silver over nickel plating include increased corrosion resistance, improved conductivity, and a visually appealing finish. Additionally, this plating process can also enhance the durability and lifespan of the plated object.

3. What types of materials can be silver over nickel plated?

Silver over nickel plating can be applied to a variety of metal materials, including copper, brass, steel, and zinc. It is commonly used in the electronics, automotive, and aerospace industries for its protective and aesthetic properties.

4. How is silver over nickel plating applied?

The silver over nickel plating process involves submerging the metal object in an electrolytic solution containing silver and nickel ions. A direct electric current is then applied, causing the ions to deposit onto the metal surface, creating the desired plating layer.

5. Is silver over nickel plating environmentally friendly?

Silver over nickel plating can be considered environmentally friendly as it does not involve the use of toxic chemicals or heavy metals. Additionally, the plating layer can be recycled, reducing waste and promoting sustainability.