What are the common methods for creating a laser point cloud?

In summary: If you read the wikipedia article and follow some of the info links, you will see some typical ways of doing the scanning.
chambers.keivn
Hey all,

I'm hoping this is in the right section. Basically I'm interested in creating a laser point cloud, but can't think of the best shape to do it. E.G. shining a laser straight down through a median and having the light scattered into a lot more points. I'd than have a receiver to read these points. Kind of like a 3D scanner, I just cannot figure out the best shape or mirror setup to do this; so I thought I'd reach out to people a lot smarter than myself.

Thanks,
Kevin S. Chambers

Science news on Phys.org
Edit:

What is the best way to create multiple laser points to cover a 360 degree area, I'm thing a concaved glass dome.

Thanks,
Kevin S. Chambers

I'm not entirely sure what you're describing, so bear with me.

If you're looking to blanket a volume with laser points, I'm not sure how you'd get one laser to scatter to make multiple points, unless you did it over time. Have you seen laser scanner that are typically used at store checkout counters? They are designed to blanket an area with laser light by pointing it at a rotating drum covered in faceted mirrors. Rotate the drum fast enough and you essentially have what I think you're looking for.

It is possible to actually split a laser beam - there are elements called beam splitters that make two beams out of one. They are more expensive than more laser pointers I guess, and rotating mirrors look like a better solution, but I don't understand what you want to build either. What is the purpose of the device?

chambers.keivn said:
Hey all,

I'm hoping this is in the right section. Basically I'm interested in creating a laser point cloud, but can't think of the best shape to do it. E.G. shining a laser straight down through a median and having the light scattered into a lot more points. I'd than have a receiver to read these points. Kind of like a 3D scanner, I just cannot figure out the best shape or mirror setup to do this; so I thought I'd reach out to people a lot smarter than myself.

Thanks,
Kevin S. Chambers

chambers.keivn said:
Edit:

What is the best way to create multiple laser points to cover a 360 degree area, I'm thing a concaved glass dome.

Thanks,
Kevin S. Chambers

Maybe you are thinking about 3D Laser Scanning? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_scanner

berkeman said:
Maybe you are thinking about 3D Laser Scanning? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_scanner

That is what I'm thinking, I'm just curious what type of mirror setup or prism they use to disperse the light.

chambers.keivn said:
That is what I'm thinking, I'm just curious what type of mirror setup or prism they use to disperse the light.

If you read the wikipedia article and follow some of the info links, you will see some typical ways of doing the scanning. :smile:

1. What is a laser point cloud?

A laser point cloud is a collection of data points in three-dimensional space that are acquired by using a laser scanner. Each data point represents a precise location on an object's surface, and when combined, create a 3D representation of the object.

2. How is a laser point cloud created?

A laser point cloud is created by using a laser scanner, which emits a laser beam that reflects off of the object's surface. The scanner then measures the time it takes for the laser to return to the scanner, along with the angle and position of the laser beam. This data is then processed and combined to create a 3D representation of the object.

3. What are the applications of laser point clouds?

Laser point clouds have a variety of applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, archaeology, and virtual reality. They can be used for 3D modeling, measurements, and analysis of objects and structures.

4. What are the benefits of using laser point clouds?

Using laser point clouds allows for a more accurate and comprehensive representation of an object or structure. It also eliminates the need for manual measurements, which can be time-consuming and prone to error. Additionally, laser point clouds can be easily shared and manipulated digitally, making them a useful tool for collaboration.

5. What are the limitations of laser point clouds?

One limitation of laser point clouds is that they require specialized equipment and software, which can be expensive. Additionally, they may not be suitable for objects with reflective or transparent surfaces, as the laser may not be able to accurately measure these surfaces. Lastly, weather conditions such as rain or fog can affect the accuracy of the laser measurements.