What are the dimensions of force?

It's important to understand the difference between dimensions and units, as dimensions refer to the fundamental physical quantities involved in a measurement while units are used to express and measure those quantities. So, in summary, the dimensions of force can be expressed as mass x length x (time)-2, which is option (b) in the given choices.
alingy1
I'm doing practice problems:
I am confronted to this:
The dimensions of force are (x means “multiplied by”):
(a) kg.m.s-2,
(b) mass x length x (time)-2,
(c) Newtons,
(d) mass x acceleration.

I need someone to back up my reasoning.

It says dimensions, so I'm going towards (b) because (a) and (c) are units and, as for (d), acceleration is not a dimension.

Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:
I'm doing practice problems:
I am confronted to this:
The dimensions of force are (x means “multiplied by”):
(a) kg.m.s-2,
(b) mass x length x (time)-2,
(c) Newtons,
(d) mass x acceleration.

I need someone to back up my reasoning.

It says dimensions, so I'm going towards (b) because (a) and (c) are units and, as for (d), acceleration is not a dimension.
That would be my answer too, for the same reasons you mentioned.

Related to What are the dimensions of force?

1. What are the fundamental dimensions of force?

The fundamental dimensions of force are mass (M), length (L), and time (T). These dimensions are often represented as [M][L][T]-2, where the exponent of -2 indicates that force is proportional to the inverse square of distance.

2. How is force measured?

Force is typically measured using a unit called the Newton (N). One Newton is equal to the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object due to gravity. Mass is constant, but weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. Can force be negative?

Yes, force can be negative. A negative force indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive force. For example, if a car is moving forward with a positive force, a negative force would act in the opposite direction and cause the car to slow down or stop.

5. How do different dimensions of force affect the behavior of objects?

The different dimensions of force can affect the behavior of objects in different ways. For example, a change in mass can impact an object's inertia, or resistance to change in motion. A change in distance can affect the strength of force, with a greater distance resulting in a weaker force. And time can impact the rate of change of force, such as in the case of acceleration or deceleration.