What are the Eigenvectors of a 3x3 Matrix with Eigenvalues 6 and 2?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors for a 3x3 matrix and the difficulties the person is having in finding them. They eventually come to a solution of [2,1,1] and [4,3,1] as the eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalues of 2 and 6, respectively. It is also suggested to test the eigenvectors to ensure they are correct.
mkay123321

Homework Statement

So the 3x3 matrix involved is [3 -1 -1:-4 6 4:-1 1 1], The eigenvalues are L=6 and L=2.

Homework Equations

(A-LI)e=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I stuck the eigenvalues into the matrix and got (-1 1 1)(not sure if its right) for L=2 but when I use L=6 in I can't seem to get the answer, I can't bring it down to echelon form that easily either. Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
mkay123321 said:

Homework Statement

So the 3x3 matrix involved is [3 -1 -1:-4 6 4:-1 1 1], The eigenvalues are L=6 and L=2.

Homework Equations

(A-LI)e=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I stuck the eigenvalues into the matrix and got (-1 1 1)(not sure if its right) for L=2 but when I use L=6 in I can't seem to get the answer, I can't bring it down to echelon form that easily either. Thanks for any help

No, (-1,1,1) isn't an eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue 2, and 6 isn't even a eigenvalue of that matrix. How you would expect anyone to be able to guess what you are doing wrong given the amount of work you've shown beats me.

Sorry the matrix is [3 -1 -1:-4 6 4:1 -1 1] and one of the eigenvalue is 6 and the other is 2

mkay123321 said:
Sorry the matrix is [3 -1 -1:-4 6 4:1 -1 1] and one of the eigenvalue is 6 and the other is 2

Ok, that's better. But (-1,1,1) is still not an eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue 2. There are two linearly independent eigenvectors corresponding the eigenvalue 2 and one eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue 6. Now can you show how you are trying to find them so someone can figure out what you are doing wrong?

Okay, So for L=2 I am getting [1 -1 -1:-4 4 4:1 -1 -1] and when I try using G.E I get [1 -1 -1:0 0 0:0 0 0].

From there x - y -z=0
x=y+z, that's why I thought it was [-1 1 1], I've never done this before so I am not sure if what I am doing is right. I am trying to learn off youtube but I am not understanding how they are getting the eigenvectors.

mkay123321 said:
Okay, So for L=2 I am getting [1 -1 -1:-4 4 4:1 -1 -1] and when I try using G.E I get [1 -1 -1:0 0 0:0 0 0].

From there x - y -z=0
x=y+z, that's why I thought it was [-1 1 1], I've never done this before so I am not sure if what I am doing is right. I am trying to learn off youtube but I am not understanding how they are getting the eigenvectors.

x-y-z=0 is correct. Good work. But [-1,1,1] doesn't solve x-y-z=0? Does it??

Dick said:
x-y-z=0 is correct. Good work. But [-1,1,1] doesn't solve x-y-z=0? Does it??

So [1 -1 -1] ? And you said there were 2 corresponding eigenvectors for L=2, how would I find the other?

mkay123321 said:
So [1 -1 -1] ? And you said there were 2 corresponding eigenvectors for L=2, how would I find the other?

[1,-1,-1] means x=1, y=(-1) and z=(-1). That doesn't solve x-y-z=0 either. Just put the numbers in and try it. There are an infinite number of solutions of x-y-z=0. Try and find ONE of them first.

dick said:
[1,-1,-1] means x=1, y=(-1) and z=(-1). That doesn't solve x-y-z=0 either. Just put the numbers in and try it. There are an infinite number of solutions of x-y-z=0. Try and find one of them first.

[2 -1 -1]?

mkay123321 said:
[2 -1 -1]?

x=2, y=(-1), z=(-1) so x-y-z=2-(-1)-(-1)=2+1+1=4! Not 0. Can you try just once more, please? Find me ANY correct solution of x-y-z=0.

Dick said:
x=2, y=(-1), z=(-1) so x-y-z=2-(-1)-(-1)=2+1+1=4! Not 0. Can you try just once more, please? Find me ANY correct solution of x-y-z=0.

Ha, [2 1 1], okay so it could be [4 2 2] as well and [6 3 3] etc?

mkay123321 said:
Ha, [2 1 1], okay so it could be [4 2 2] as well and [6 3 3] etc?

There you go. Much better. But [4,2,2]=2*[2,1,1] and [6,3,3]=3*[2,1,1]. So they aren't really 'different'. They are linearly dependent, they all lie along the same line. The eigenvectors of 2 form a plane. To get a full set of eigenvectors you need to find one off that line. Any ideas?

dick said:
there you go. Much better. But [4,2,2]=2*[2,1,1] and [6,3,3]=3*[2,1,1]. So they aren't really 'different'. They are linearly dependent, they all lie along the same line. The eigenvectors of 2 form a plane. To get a full set of eigenvectors you need to find one off that line. Any ideas?

[4 3 1]?

mkay123321 said:
[4 3 1]?

That works. So you could give the eigenvectors as the space spanned [2,1,1] and [4,3,1]. It's pretty likely your book will express it as something like the span of [1,1,0] and [1,0,1]. That also works and looks simpler. But it's equivalent to the span of your two vectors.

Dick said:
That works. So you could give the eigenvectors as the space spanned [2,1,1] and [4,3,1]. It's pretty likely your book will express it as something like the span of [1,1,0] and [1,0,1]. That also works and looks simpler. But it's equivalent to the span of your two vectors.

Yes I was getting confused with the 1's and 0's everywhere in the notes. So for L=6 will it be easier to use Gaussian Elimination or simultaneous? I am trying to use G.E but then the matrix goes into fractions and makes it harder. What I got so far is [1 -4 1].

mkay123321 said:
Yes I was getting confused with the 1's and 0's everywhere in the notes. So for L=6 will it be easier to use Gaussian Elimination or simultaneous? I am trying to use G.E but then the matrix goes into fractions and makes it harder. What I got so far is [1 -4 1].

You can do it any way that feels easier to you. You can test your answer of [1,-4,1]. If it's an eigenvector with eigenvalue 6 then if you multiply it by the original matrix, then you should get 6*[1,-4,1], right? It's easier to check them than to solve for them. Try it, you'll find you are correct.

Dick said:
You can do it any way that feels easier to you. You can test your answer of [1,-4,1]. If it's an eigenvector with eigenvalue 6 then if you multiply it by the original matrix, then you should get 6*[1,-4,1], right? It's easier to check them than to solve for them. Try it, you'll find you are correct.

Oh yes I see that it is actually easier to check them, thanks a lot for that man! Much appreciated. I just didn't understand the x-y-z=0 properly but now you've clearly explained it to me.

Related to What are the Eigenvectors of a 3x3 Matrix with Eigenvalues 6 and 2?

1. What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a vector that, when multiplied by a matrix, results in a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the direction of the eigenvector remains unchanged after the matrix transformation.

2. What does it mean to find the eigenvectors of a matrix?

Finding the eigenvectors of a matrix means finding the special set of vectors that, when multiplied by the matrix, result in scalar multiples of themselves. These vectors are important in linear algebra and have many applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

3. Why are the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix important?

The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix provide important information about the matrix, such as its characteristics and behavior. They are used in many applications, including solving systems of linear equations, analyzing data, and understanding the behavior of physical systems.

4. How do you find the eigenvectors of a 3x3 matrix?

To find the eigenvectors of a 3x3 matrix, we first need to find the eigenvalues by solving the characteristic equation of the matrix. Then, for each eigenvalue, we can find the corresponding eigenvector by solving a system of linear equations. There are various methods for finding the eigenvectors, such as Gaussian elimination, but the process can be complex and may require advanced mathematical knowledge.

5. Can a matrix have more than 3 eigenvectors?

Yes, a matrix can have any number of eigenvectors, including more than 3. The number of eigenvectors of a matrix is equal to its dimension, so a 3x3 matrix can have up to 3 eigenvectors. However, not all matrices have distinct eigenvectors, and some may have repeated eigenvalues.