What are the factors influencing Error Vector Magnitude (EVM)?

In summary, Error Vector Magnitude (EVM) is commonly used in the telecommunication industry to evaluate user performance. It is calculated using a formula that takes into account received and ideal symbols, as well as the total number of symbols received. In a Multi-User MIMO system simulation with 2 users and a base station with 64 transmit elements, the One-Ring channel model is used, which is a NLOS model with multipath and scatterers. Thermal noise is also added at the receiver. When evaluating the performance of users at different positions with EVM, it is possible to observe higher EVM even with less interference between users. This can be caused by nonlinearities in the transmitter or receiver, but in a simulation,
Gsudha
TL;DR Summary
I am studying the influence of different user position in the multi-user communication system. In some cases, when inter-user interference is lower, still I see higher EVM. How to understand the factors that could contribute to the EVM?
1627655606140.png

Error Vector Magnitude is widely used in the telecommunication industry to assess the performance of the users. In the given formula, Sr(n) is the received symbol and St(n) is the ideal symbol. N is the total number of symbols received. I have a Multi-User MIMO system simulation where there are 2 users served by a base station. The base station consists of 64 transmit elements and the users are equipped with linear antenna array consisting of 3 elements. The channel that I use is One-Ring channel model which is NLOS model rich in multipath with scatterers. At the receiver, thermal noise is added. I am evaluating the performance of users with EVM metric when users are at different positions. In some cases, I find that even if the interference between the users are less, EVM would be more. In such cases, what could be the other factors that could contribute to higher EVM? Is it correct to relate the inter-user interference alone to the EVM?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Degradation in EVM can be caused by nonlinearities in your transmitter (driving the power amplifier into saturation, e.g.) or receiver (overdriving), but I'm guessing these are not a problem in your simulation. Multipath will cause an increase in EVM if the path delays are comparable to or longer than a symbol. In the latter case, the received symbol is contaminated by the presence of a previous symbol that is arriving at the same time.

What is Error Vector Magnitude (EVM)?

Error Vector Magnitude (EVM) is a measurement of the accuracy of a digital communication system. It represents the difference between the ideal and actual received signal in terms of magnitude and phase.

What are the factors that can influence EVM?

There are several factors that can influence EVM, including noise, distortion, interference, and imperfections in the transmitter and receiver components. Changes in these factors can affect the accuracy of the received signal and therefore impact the EVM.

How does noise affect EVM?

Noise is a random disturbance that can interfere with the transmission of a signal. When noise is present, it can cause errors in the received signal, leading to a higher EVM. The more noise present, the higher the EVM will be.

What is distortion and how does it impact EVM?

Distortion refers to any changes or alterations to the signal as it travels through the communication system. This can be caused by imperfections in the components or by interference. Distortion can cause errors in the received signal, resulting in a higher EVM.

Can EVM be improved or reduced?

Yes, EVM can be improved or reduced by addressing the factors that influence it. This can include using better quality components, reducing noise and interference, and implementing error correction techniques. By minimizing these factors, the accuracy of the received signal can be improved, resulting in a lower EVM.