What are the implications if P=NP in Artificial Intelligence?

In summary, the discussion on P=NP suggests that if such an algorithm exists, it could potentially make creativity worthless and eliminate the need for AI. However, some argue that there are still NP-hard problems that would not be solved by this algorithm, and that the impact on AI would be limited to a subset of problems. Additionally, from a practical level, the focus in AI is often on finding "good enough" solutions rather than optimal ones. If P=NP were proven, it could have significant implications for the field of Artificial Intelligence, but some argue that it may not be as dramatic as initially thought.
Gjmdp
If it turns out that there is, indeed, an algorithm that can solve any NP problem (now also P) in polynomial type, so that P=NP, creativity would prove worthless with such algorithm. Thereby, AI will not be needed as any intellectual inquiry we would ever had could be easily solved with this algorithm. Hence, we should try to solve the P=NP problem rather than research in Artificial Intelligence. Right?

Technology news on Phys.org
Gjmdp said:
If it turns out that there is, indeed, an algorithm that can solve any NP problem (now also P) in polynomial type, so that P=NP, creativity would prove worthless with such algorithm. Thereby, AI will not be needed as any intellectual inquiry we would ever had could be easily solved with this algorithm. Hence, we should try to solve the P=NP problem rather than research in Artificial Intelligence. Right?

Not so in my opinion. First I would ask you, from which perspective do you examine the impact of (a potential) P = NP?
From a programming perspective it is a search problem And it would eliminate the pains of trial and error. Is this technologically feasible in the near future?
I don't think so but even if it is, its impact on AI will be in terms of a subset. Some problems (e.g. some optimization problems, natural language processing and a variety of others) will still be open. Surely, the impact of P = NP will be huge. Programs, computers, networks and what not, will run faster. It may also bring unforeseeable improvements at various levels and sectors but at least as I see it, it can't solve anything and everything in AI.

As a second point, I would ask what would be the impact for AI at the human level? Our brain works the way it does even with approximations and it has proven to do very well. Optimized (or even better optimal solutions) are always welcome but whether P = NP or not our brain will be needed.

Gjmdp said:
If it turns out that there is, indeed, an algorithm that can solve any NP problem (now also P) in polynomial type, so that P=NP, creativity would prove worthless with such algorithm.
Such math would sure turn many things upside down, but since many application of AI is not exactly about optimal, but 'good enough' responses, I think the impact on practical level would not be a really dramatic one.

Just look around: the whole NN, big data and AI stuff is about being lazy and trying to spare the effort for digging up the optimal/exact algorithms... o0)

Gjmdp's Title said:
What are the implications if P=NP in Artificial Intelligence?
If P=NP, and I am the first to prove that and/or find/invent a general algorithm that can exploit NP being in P, I freely promise that I will NOT publish the proof/algorithm, and I'll be careful to create a plausible fiction for how I made such a grotesquely large amount of money so fast.

1. What is the concept of P=NP in Artificial Intelligence?

The concept of P=NP in Artificial Intelligence refers to the question of whether all problems that can be solved quickly by a computer can also be verified quickly. This question has important implications for the efficiency and capabilities of AI algorithms.

2. What would be the implications if P=NP in Artificial Intelligence?

If P=NP in Artificial Intelligence, it would mean that all problems that are currently considered difficult or impossible for computers to solve efficiently could be solved quickly. This would greatly enhance the capabilities of AI systems and potentially lead to significant advancements in various fields, such as machine learning, natural language processing, and robotics.

3. How would the concept of P=NP impact the development of Artificial Intelligence?

The concept of P=NP would have a major impact on the development of Artificial Intelligence. If it is proven true, it would open up new possibilities for solving complex problems and could lead to the development of more advanced AI systems. On the other hand, if it is proven false, it could limit the potential of AI and require researchers to find alternative approaches to solving difficult problems.

4. Is there any evidence to support or disprove the concept of P=NP in Artificial Intelligence?

Currently, there is no definitive evidence to support or disprove the concept of P=NP in Artificial Intelligence. It remains an open question in computer science and mathematics, and researchers continue to explore and debate its implications for AI.

5. How would the discovery of P=NP impact the field of Artificial Intelligence?

The discovery of P=NP in Artificial Intelligence would have a significant impact on the field. It could lead to the development of more efficient and powerful AI algorithms, making it possible to solve complex problems in a shorter amount of time. This could have far-reaching implications for various industries, such as healthcare, finance, and transportation, where AI is already being applied.