What are the limitations of using electrical circuits to solve PDEs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of electrical circuits to simulate complex systems, specifically in solving partial differential equations. There are limitations to this approach, including size limitations and uncertainty about analytical solutions. Engineers like Leon Chua have done significant work in this area, but there are also concerns about the practicality and accuracy of using this method. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using cellular neural networks for this purpose, with some limitations and challenges.
Domenico94
Hi everyone. In electrical engineering, when you study control theory, you're taught that electrical circuits can be used to simulate the behaviour of complex systems. What I don't understand is, what are the limitation of this sistem, and why it can't be obviouslly used in a general way to solve PDEs? Does it give only numerical and not analitical solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
All computers are electrical circuits, so your teachings were correct. Or are you asking this question for analog circuits (as opposed to digital circuits) in particular ?

Anyway, there are obvious size limitations.

And who claims they can't be used in a general way ?

Yes, it is true that they are, but I was asking it in the sense of using analog circuits, like capacitors, inductors,eventually diodes, to actually find a solution for Partial differential equations. There are engineers, like one named Leon Chua, who did significant work in solving equations using this approach. The thing I wanted to ask is, if it was so easy (Example : I want to solve a PDE, so I build the circuit and see how that works), we would all to this, but I guess it's not so simple as it appears, so what are the problems concerned with this kind of approach? Can be used for analitical solutions or for numerical solutions only?

Domenico94 said:
(Example : I want to solve a PDE, so I build the circuit and see how that works)
I've seen lots of examples of simple electrical systems modeled by ordinary differential equations (ODEs), but haven't seen any that were modeled by partial differential equations (PDEs). In the examples I've seen the voltage and current were functions of t alone. Did you mean ODEs instead of PDEs, or do you have some example where the current and voltage were functions of two or more variables?

I'm not an electrical engineer, so there might be some examples that I'm not aware of.

Likes Domenico94
Mark44 said:
I've seen lots of examples of simple electrical systems modeled by ordinary differential equations (ODEs), but haven't seen any that were modeled by partial differential equations (PDEs). In the examples I've seen the voltage and current were functions of t alone. Did you mean ODEs instead of PDEs, or do you have some example where the current and voltage were functions of two or more variables?

I'm not an electrical engineer, so there might be some examples that I'm not aware of.
No, I don't mean electrical circuits being modeled by ODE, of course there are, but I was asking about the inverse problem, when we can model PDEs with electric circuits ( like Leon Chua did, for example)

Other answers??

Domenico94 said:
like Leon Chua did, for example
This man is so productive that he lists 767 references for CHua's circuit and chua's equation alone (in 2004). Plus his own publications, another 459. Could you narrow it down a little and explain what you are referring to ?

I mean, you can try to approximate PDE solutions with electric circuits, but that's not what you mean, is it ?

Re post #1: is it clear that you definitely don't get analytical solutions ?

Hi ByU :)
I was referring about the fact of solving nonlinear PDEs electric circuits, in a way like Chua did.
No, that's what I was not clear about...I just wanted to ask about the possibility of solving them analitically, or if it isn't feasible at all...Just for curiosity, nothing more :)

Found some http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=473591&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel4%2F81%2F9993%2F00473591.pdf%3Farnumber%3D473591 on Cellular Neural Networks but http://www.functionaldifferentialequations.com/index.php/fde/article/viewFile/197/160complain the results can't be used in real life (low precision, ..) and they change over to digital emulation.

Cellular Neural Networks...It's always Chua's work, isn't it?

1. What is a PDE and how does it relate to electrical circuits?

A PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves several independent variables and their partial derivatives. In electrical circuits, PDEs are used to model the behavior of electric fields and currents in different components of the circuit.

2. How are PDEs solved in the context of electrical circuits?

PDEs can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical methods. These solutions provide a mathematical description of the behavior of the electric fields and currents in the circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using PDEs to model electrical circuits?

PDEs allow for a more accurate and comprehensive analysis of electrical circuits compared to other simpler models. They can also be used to study complex circuit configurations and non-linear behavior.

4. Are there any limitations to using PDEs in electrical circuit analysis?

PDEs can be computationally expensive and may require advanced mathematical skills to solve. In some cases, they may not accurately capture the behavior of all components in the circuit, particularly when there are significant non-linear effects.

5. Can PDEs be used to design and optimize electrical circuits?

Yes, PDEs can be used in conjunction with optimization techniques to design and optimize electrical circuits. By solving the PDEs, engineers can gain insight into the behavior of the circuit and make informed decisions to improve its performance.