What are the next steps after finding a pattern in iterative substitution?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach finding patterns in an equation using iterative substitution. The equation T(n) = 2T(n/2) + n^2 is used as an example, and the process of finding patterns is explained. After finding the pattern, the next step is to apply it to the problem at hand, whether it is writing the general form or proving the equation using induction. Further instructions depend on the specific problem being solved.
fvnn
Hi i Have this equation:
[M]T(n)=2T(n/2)+n^2[/M]

I understand for iterative substitution you need to find patterns so here's what i got:
[M]2^2T(n/2^2)+n2/2+n^2
2^3T(n/2^3)+n2/2^2+n2/2+n^2[/M]

My question is what to do after you have found the pattern?

Physics news on Phys.org
fvnn said:
My question is what to do after you have found the pattern?
Whatever the problem tells you. You could write the general form of the pattern (after applying the definition of $T$ $n$ times). You could write the explicit formula for $T$ when $n$ is a power of 2 for a given $T(1)$ and then prove it by induction.

What is iterative substitution?

Iterative substitution is a problem-solving method in which a solution is repeatedly refined and improved upon by substituting different values or equations until a desired result is achieved.

How does iterative substitution work?

Iterative substitution works by starting with an initial guess or estimate for a solution, and then repeatedly substituting that value into the problem to refine it. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

What are the advantages of using iterative substitution?

One advantage of using iterative substitution is that it can be applied to a wide range of problems, including those with complex equations or systems of equations. It also allows for a more precise solution to be obtained compared to other methods.

What are the limitations of iterative substitution?

One limitation of iterative substitution is that it may not always converge to a solution, meaning that the process may continue indefinitely without reaching a desired result. It also may require a large number of iterations, making it computationally intensive.

What are some real-life applications of iterative substitution?

Iterative substitution is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to solve problems involving equations or systems of equations. It can also be applied to optimization problems and in machine learning algorithms.