What Are the Properties of Concave/Convex Spherical Mirrors?

In summary, for the given values of p=+18 and f=12, the spherical mirror is concave with a radius of 24 cm. The image distance is 36 cm and the magnification is -2. To determine whether the image is real or virtual and imaginary or not imaginary, the equation (1/f)-(1/p)=(1/i) can be used, with a positive value indicating a real image and a negative value indicating a virtual image. In this case, since the value is positive, the image is real. Additionally, the magnification being a negative value indicates that the image is inverted. The image is on the same side as the object, which is the concave side of the mirror.
mglander
Spherical mirrors. We are given p= +18 and the mirror is concave with f= 12. Find r, i, m, Real or Virtual, Imaginary or not imaginary, and what side of the mirror is the image on. All units are cm.

r: f=r/2, so r=2f r= 24 cm
i: (1/p) + (1/i)= (1/f), so (1/f)-(1/p)=(1/i) i= 36 cm
m: m=-i/p m=-2

At that point, how do you know whether the image is Real or Virtual and Imaginary or Not Imaginary?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror?

A concave mirror is a curved mirror with the reflecting surface on the inner side, while a convex mirror has the reflecting surface on the outer side. Concave mirrors converge light rays, while convex mirrors diverge light rays.

How do concave and convex mirrors affect the appearance of objects?

Concave mirrors can produce both real and virtual images, depending on the position of the object. Real images are upside down and can be projected onto a screen, while virtual images are right-side up and cannot be projected. Convex mirrors always produce virtual, smaller, upright images.

How are concave and convex mirrors used in everyday life?

Concave mirrors are often used in telescopes and headlights, as they can produce magnified and focused images. Convex mirrors are used in security cameras and side mirrors of cars, as they provide a wider field of view.

What is the focal length of a concave or convex mirror?

The focal length is the distance between the mirror and its focal point, where parallel light rays converge. For a concave mirror, the focal length is half the radius of curvature, while for a convex mirror, it is half the distance of the center of curvature.

How do you calculate the magnification of an object reflected in a concave or convex mirror?

The magnification is the ratio of the size of the image to the size of the object. For a concave mirror, the magnification is calculated using the formula M = -v/u, where v is the image distance and u is the object distance. For a convex mirror, the magnification is always less than 1 and is calculated using the formula M = -v/u.