Two concave mirrors on a table

In summary, the image formed by the 1st mirror is a real object for the 2nd mirror, but the position of the image is 20 cm from the "back" of the said mirror. To see the image, you can place a screen at this distance.
Father_Ing
Homework Statement
Two concave mirrors are placed 40 cm apart and are facing each other. A point object lies between them at a distance of 12 cm from the mirror of focal length 10 cm. The other mirror has a focal length of 15
Relevant Equations
-
I'm currently confused in determining whether an image formed by the 1st mirror (the left one) is a real or virtual object for the 2nd mirror.

Here is the solution manual:
151-2-768x1020 (1).jpg

This is what I have in my mind:
Since the object is located between the focus and radius point of the first mirror, the image formed after the first reflection must be real, both as an image and as an object for the 2nd mirror (although the position is 20 cm from the "back" of the said mirror). And in order to see this image, we can place a screen at distance 20cm from the 2nd mirror.

Note that what I mean by "the back" above, is not behind the mirror (virtual).

However, in the solution manual, it says that the image formed is virtual for the 2nd mirror.
I don't understand why the image is inside of the "mirror world" instead of the real world.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It says that he image from the first mirror forms a virtual object for the second.

Copied from:
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-physics/chapter/mirrors/

"An image formed by reflection may be real or virtual. A real image occurs when light rays actually intersect at the image, and is inverted, or upside down. A virtual image occurs when light rays do not actually meet at the image. Instead, you “see” the image because your eye projects light rays backward. A virtual image is right side up (upright)."

Mirrors.jpg

Father_Ing said:
However, in the solution manual, it says that the image formed is virtual for the 2nd mirror.
I don't understand why the image is inside of the "mirror world" instead of the real world.
It's because you don't have actual light rays emanating from point ##I_1## and reflecting off the second mirror.

When you look at mirror 2, forget about mirror 1. You don't care if mirror 1 forms a virtual or real image. All you care about is where the image forms in relation to mirror 2. If the image formed by mirror 1 is in front of mirror 2, the object is real. If it's behind, the object is virtual.

Frankly, I'm not sure how useful this concept of a virtual object is. All you really need to know is that the image formed by the first mirror, regardless of whether it's real or virtual, become the object for the second mirror.

Likes Lnewqban
vela said:
Frankly, I'm not sure how useful this concept of a virtual object is. All you really need to know is that the image formed by the first mirror, regardless of whether it's real or virtual, become the object for the second mirror.
I am not big on "naming" stuff. But drawing the ray trace for a "virtual object" can be a little tricky and so it is bit of nomenclature that I have found to be useful. It means "prepare to be confused when you draw the ray trace." Of course no one seems able to draw a ray trace anyway.

Likes vela
Father_Ing said:
Homework Statement:: Two concave mirrors are placed 40 cm apart and are facing each other. A point object lies between them at a distance of 12 cm from the mirror of focal length 10 cm. The other mirror has a focal length of 15
Relevant Equations:: -

I'm currently confused in determining whether an image formed by the 1st mirror (the left one) is a real or virtual object for the 2nd mirror.

Here is the solution manual:
View attachment 297963

This is what I have in my mind:
Since the object is located between the focus and radius point of the first mirror, the image formed after the first reflection must be real, both as an image and as an object for the 2nd mirror (although the position is 20 cm from the "back" of the said mirror). And in order to see this image, we can place a screen at distance 20cm from the 2nd mirror.

Note that what I mean by "the back" above, is not behind the mirror (virtual).

Any help would be appreciated!
The sign convention you will need for this is the object distance.

When light comes from the same side as the object the object distance is positive; negative other wise.

Images can be treated as objects for secondary lens. Use the above convention to figure out the sign then proceed to use lens equation.

If we look at the 2nd mirror, could we see the virtual object?

Father_Ing said:
If we look at the 2nd mirror, could we see the virtual object?
An image in a mirror is a virtual object, which can in turn be used to create another image in a second mirror. All objects created in a series of mirrors are virtual objects.

What is the purpose of having two concave mirrors on a table?

The purpose of having two concave mirrors on a table is to create a magnified image of an object placed between them. The two mirrors work together to reflect and focus the light from the object, resulting in an enlarged and upright image.

How do the two concave mirrors interact with each other?

The two concave mirrors interact with each other by reflecting and focusing the light rays from the object. The first mirror reflects the light towards the second mirror, which then reflects it towards the observer. This creates an enlarged and upright image of the object.

What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror?

A concave mirror is curved inward and can create both real and virtual images. It is commonly used for magnifying objects. On the other hand, a convex mirror is curved outward and can only create virtual images. It is often used for wide-angle viewing, such as in car side mirrors.

How is the magnification of the image affected by the distance between the mirrors?

The magnification of the image is affected by the distance between the mirrors. As the distance increases, the magnification also increases, resulting in a larger image. Conversely, decreasing the distance will decrease the magnification, resulting in a smaller image.

What are some practical applications of using two concave mirrors on a table?

Two concave mirrors on a table have various practical applications, such as in telescopes, microscopes, and magnifying glasses. They are also commonly used in dental and medical procedures to provide a magnified view of the patient's mouth or body. Additionally, they are used in some optical illusions and experiments to demonstrate the properties of light and reflection.